I suffer terribly with anxiety. Any advice

Posted , 6 users are following.

Been great for months..Just been on holiday and was spoilt 2 days in with overwhelming anxiety and panic attacks. Anyone else have this while away

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I am in the same boat. I have not suffered severe anxiety in years until now. I am going to the doctors to discuss, you'd best do the same. We cannot let anxiety run our lives.

• Posted

I used to travel a lot worldwide on business. Before a trip I would get very anxious and depressed, but as soon as I stepped on the airliner it was like I was mentally committed to the trip and the anxiety and depression pretty much stopped.
  • Posted

Maybe it's because you have had time off, time to think? I hope you feel better soon x

• Posted

Hi Kimbolton

I have suffered anxiety on and off for 20 yrs. Unfortunately it is worse when I am away from home. I don't go on holiday or take day trips for fear of anxiety being overwhelming. I have tried many remedies and pills but I've never beaten it. If you let this take over your life then you end up a prisoner. Try to think what caused your anxiety when you were away. Please don't let it beat you or you will end up like me and never havery holidays etc.

I am currently trying acupuncture but early days yet.

Good luck.

• Posted

I am the same have suffered longer,I am much older
    • Posted

Yeah I'm 17 yrs on and off. But if I'm honest had it from being little..could never leave my mum or be away from home.

• Posted

Try travel in small bites, Kimbo. Take a day trip somewhere and have a picnic, then come home. Build up to it.

As I noted, I travel on my job and by that I mean all over the world. I've done it all my career, for 40 years and I have NEVER gotten over the anxiety leading up to a trip. I'm always anxious and depressed right up to the time I board the flight-then as soon as I step aboard the airliner it seems like my mind clicks into 'combat mode' and I'm good to go. No more anxiety or depression.

I finally figured out that it's not fear of airliners or travel that I have. It's just being away from the friendly confines of home-with family and security. Your wife or mom being there if you get sick. Your pets being at arms length.

I once went to Japan 8 separate trips (from midwest USA) in one year, working on an important program. And every trip I went through the same thing-anxiety, then adaption.

I think you can get over your travel anxiety if you just approach it slowly. Take it in bites, find out exactly what is bothering you. I once got over the anxiety of a business trip to Mexico City by asking my wife at the last minute if she wanted to go with me? She did and her accompaniment was all I needed to feel much better. I conducted business and she did a bus tour of the floating gardens, the Mexico City museum and the pyramids-then we had dinner together at nights. Unfortunately, taking her along didn't happen very often but it was a treat once in awhile.

• Posted

Thank you phil I'll try that. I'm usually fine once I get there..not this time

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.