I think GP was right about IBS

Posted , 6 users are following.

Around this time last year I was concerned that I had a pancreatic problem.  Had the most dreadful almost water loose bowels around 7-8 times a day, with literally a couple of minutes warning, and particularly after eating, often explosive, greasy, floating etc.  Lots of other symptoms too, lost over a stone, dry mouth, intense deep seated pain in the middle of my left ribs, nausea, unable to stand ......anyway, GP did bloods, USS and eventually CT with contrast thorax to pelvis.  Pancreas was OK and he diagnosed IBS.  

I had developed this during a period of acute personal stress, but continued to work.  I had had strange bowel patterns for some considerable time - probably years - alternating Constipation and loose stools, occasionally this sudden need to go within 60 seconds of getting a deep grumble in my belly (which reminded me of period aches) but none of the other symptoms.

Around 3 months from first seeing GP, and 4.5mths from first onset of symptoms.  Things settled, I regained weight and life went on.  

My Mother became very unwell at the end of November, and I spent all my time driving back and to to be with her, until she died in January.  You go totally into overdrive.

But this last 2 weeks I have had increasing heartburn (which I put down to too much wine over the couple of weeks following Mum's death but which I stopped drinking when the heartburn started), a feeling of like a pointed hand being stuck in my belly half way between my breasts and my belly button, not a really severe pain but a discomfort, but it is intermittent.  The same ache in my left ribs and back.  And then alternating between being really constipated to having profuse diarrhoea, very often at very short notice, and returning a couple of times within the hour.

Last night I was woken at 3am with that dragging period like pain lower belly, and within a couple of minutes had the most profuse diarrhoea, and was back to the loo 4 more times before 4am.   Nil since.  However there was quite a lot of fresh blood when wiping.  I have had this occasionally before with both C & D but not as much as last night.

So I am assuming that my GP was correct by putting my ailments down to IBS.  I don't particularly want to go back to him but wondered if anybody could give me advice in how to keep on top of it, minimise it, and also if the bright red blood is something I should be concerned of.  Again this has not appeared since.

Thank you in advance x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Bright red blood is from the anus black looking is from higher up in colyn.
  • Posted

Sorry to hear of the ongoing problems. It sounds like stress/anxiety are the  key triggers for you. 

Luckily, my IBS symptoms are quite mild in comparison; morning rush and the occasional bloating, but that's it. It used to be worse (going 2-4 times in the morning), but the following things have made it better. 

1. Cut out (or reduce) the following foods: onion, garlic, mushroom, broccoli, jar sauces and tinned items, lentil, beans, pulses - all the healthy stuff! As my Dr said, try and give yourself constipation to even it out (my stools were very loose). This will vary person to person, so you may need to experiment and keep a food diary to find foods that could cause it.

2. Eat foods to try and 'thicken' up stools: potato (with skin), bananas, rice, peanut butter, yogurt and 'unhealthier' versions of foods (white bread over brown, etc). 

3. Create good biofeedback loops: discuss this with your Dr. Many IBS-type problems are heavily related to psychological reasons (stress, anxiety, etc). 

4. Get some exercise: great for de-stressing and general health. 

5. Probiotics

6. Intermittent Fasting: try cutting your meals down to once/twice a day. Gives the digestive tract more time 'rest'.

7. Realising that going to the toilet is supposed to be a natural, relaxing experience. Over the years of suffering with it I used to (and still sometimes) get worked up about the impending stress of going to the toilet. Try and do your thing and get off as quickly as possibly - this will help with biofeedback. 

I've had Drs tell me different things with regards to my symptoms - I've been 3-4 times to different Drs and they've all suggested various things to help, so I'd get back there and inquire about your various options. 

The blood being bright red is normally a sign of haemorrhoids - so I wouldn't worry but a trip to the Drs to get it checked is obviously the right thing to do. 

• Posted

Hi. It sounds like Anxiety and stress has made it worse. I suffer with this too. The more your IBS symptoms present so your anxiety or stress increases and therefore you go to the toilet more. It's a vicious circle. I have just joined the IBS network which has lots of info ideas and support. Check it out. See you Dr though. He may be able to suggest something to help you

• Posted

IBS comes and goes during periods of stress; that’s what my IBS is like.  The slightest anxiety can set it off.  Diarrhoea or constipation can cause haemorrhoids or fissures which can produce bright red blood.  Try Imodium to stop the diarrhoea and try lots of fruit or a stool softener for constipation.  Don’t push too hard or wipe vigourously.

An antipasmodic like Buscopan can help with the pain or Nurofen.  Meditation can help with stress management.  The Low Fodmap diet may help to identify food triggers.  You could ask your doctor to examine you for fissures or haemorrhoids.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.