I think I have adhd, but no one believes me.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am 15 years old, biologically female.

When I was 10 years old my school teacher asked my mum to take me to the GP to check if I had adhd, because I never focused and paid attention in class. my mum took me there, but I refused to go.

my year 5 teacher also brought this topic into concern, so did year 6 and my year seven maths, English, science, art, history/geography teachers.

my mum never took me back to the GP again.

you know why? and I was outraged when I discovered this; my mum didn't believe I had adhd, and what's worse was that she didn't believe adhd was a thing.

I am currently in year 9, my school grades are suffering and I failed my semester math test, as well as a music diploma exam. my mum thinks I'm failing because I'm "lazy". yes, if only I got up and was bothered to study!

I am a huge procrastinator, always making up excuses as to why homework was not completed, I am also a video gaming addict. I do think I have anger issues and I may also have autism (several symptoms match). what my mum doesn't know is that every time I sit down next to homework or anything that requires mental effort, my brain shuts down and I am unable to do anything, I usually just sit on my spinning chair, lie on my bed or pace around my room. my parents would burst in and scold me for not doing homework.

I might mention, my mum believed in the beginning I had adhd, but that quickly changed for no reason at all. my mum also tells me stories of how a child with nonverbal autism was able to learn how to speak and grow up normally after a mother's effort to change their behaviour, she showed me dozens of videos about the brain and how parts can grow or shrink, how you can grow out of these "adhd symptoms" by practicing your brain (not sure if this is really true).

my mum thinks her word is also better than a doctor's diagnosis, though after constant nagging she reluctantly took me to the GP at age 15, and what was more infuriating was the GP brushed me off like I was nothing! yes I may be 15, and no one gets diagnosed at 15 but my symptoms started before age 12!

after the disappointing appointment with the GP my mum refused to believe anymore that my symptoms were any more than extreme laziness. I wanted to go on adhd medication, because I was tired of failing. my mum refused. she said I need to be strong, and conquer the lazy monster inside of me, I didn't need to go on drugs. but she doesn't know how hard it really is for me. (constant dozing off in class, when things go in one ear and out the other and how I get distracted so easily). she didn't want me to depend on the adhd medications (which I'm actually willing to gamble with the risks rather than leaving adhd untreated).

I match every adhd symptom except for the random blurting of comments (might be my autism coming into play?)

yes, and all this time where was my dad you ask? well he sides with my mum in everything so there is absolutely no use in convincing him.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Jay,

brilliant post, I am not qualified to advise other than to say

make your own doc's appointment, push hard to get good advise,

this is a very big problem

25% of young people in uk jails have adhd because their

problems were not diagnosed or help given, which in turn

would help avoid drugs being dished out, treating aggressive behaviour

Report Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up