I think i'm depressed but i'm not sure ..

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

For a few months now, I've been contemplating if i'm depressed. I'm a college student and on many days, I will miss college just because i don't feel like leaving the house and facing the world. Other days I'll just stare at my lptop not finding the energy to do anything but feel hopless. My hands tremble a lot - which the doctors said is nothing and I find it difficult to sleep at night; some nights i won't sleep at all.

I also find myself fake laughing and fake being happy around my friends and family. But at home, I'll cry for no reason at all sometimes which makes me feel absolutely ridiculos.

Am I depressed?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Mmmhhh it sounds very much like it! There are actually simple tests online where you can check what applies to you. But from my experience I'd say: go back to your doctor and tell him/her EXACTLY what you wrote above. They need to know every detail to find the right antidepressant for you and maybe give you a contact for a therapist who can help you find out why you got depressed in the first place and how to prevent you from getting depressed again. 
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply! I'm absolutely terrified of going to the doctor; I've tried talking to my parents about it but they've brushed it off and said it's just stress. I feel like noody wil believe me because i don't HAVE a right to be depressed when others are going through far worse things
    • Posted

Oh dear. Yes that's what I always told myself too. Until I ended up at the ER with an overdose. 

Depression is an illness that is treatable, not something that you make up or decide to have. It's like a broken leg. You would go to the doc if you had a broken leg, wouldnt you?

Everybody has the right to break their leg or to have depression.

Do your parents have to know that you are making an appointment to see your doctor? 

• Posted

That's true. I can book the appointment on my own, but because i'm only 17 i'm worried that they'll send a letter to my parents or something.
  • Posted

hi hun

it may be the case that you are but dont give up hope!

i was ashamed and embarressed of my depresion for 10 years and i finally recieved help and i feel so much better and on the road to recovery,

like others have said tell your dr EXACTLY what you are feeling.

i was terrifyed to talk to mine but they were so sympathetic.

i know its scary and dauting but you can do it.

baby steps!

i hope you feel better. let us know how things go x

• Posted

I'm really glad you're recovering. I tried booking an appointment but it's apparently fully booked this week and next.

I tried talking to my mum about it but she's insisting that i either a) have nothing to be depressed about

b) just stressed with college

She makes me feel like i'm completely overreacting and that i'm just diagnosing myself with depression.

• Posted

I believe that you should still go and make an appointment, even if it's 3 or 5 weeks out. Until then you could write down everyday how your mood is on a scale of 1-10. And that will help your doctor as well as yourself. 

1 is the worst you have ever felt and 10 is the best you've ever felt.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.