I think I'm gonna do the resection surgery.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was hospitalized again for acute diverticulitis. 2 cat scans later the reports came back no abscess, perforation. But I was admitted for 4 days and given IV antibiotics liquids for 2 days then soft diet etc. Here's the thing with me. I don't get constipated, or diaherra never have. I've always eaten well. Lots of probiotic's water I don't even have flippin hemroids but this is the 3rd attack in the past year. The first two were very small abscesses that did not need to be drained. I see the surgeon tomorrow. I'll be getting a colonoscopy/endoscopy as soon as I heal from this. I have decided to go ahead with surgery. It's affecting my quality of life and I'm scared to death of a perforation and sepsis. I've done everything right EXCEPT I ate a side of French fries which I don't normally do. The next day I knew right away I was getting into trouble. Big big mistake. I'll NEVER eat those darn things again. Literally I've had fries 3 times in the past year at local restaurants and all three times this is what happened. So I'm taken the big surgery leap. But I will say I'm a bit nervous about that but I can't handle the pain, nausea and the other crap that goes along with this disease. I'd love to hear from post surgery patients.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Wow, I have to say never have French fries been a trigger for me...although I believe they are nightshades. Have you done any food allergy testing? For example any of the genetic tests? what if it's more of a nightshade sensitivity thing causing inflammation? Just putting this out there.

I got surgery and it's not an easy thing..during or after...Make sure to get a 2nd opinion and also do the mail in food testing maybe..But in the end go with your gut and what a physician you trusts recommends..

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply. I saw my surgeon today. She however is having a baby soon so I'm gonna be transfered over to her partner who will do my colonoscopy may 23. The tentative date for surgery will be sometime in September as the colon needs to heal as best it can beforehand. I still have some hurdles to go through as I need to see my cardiologist and a anestheologist and get the ok from them also. But the sooner the better. It's what I need to do so I can carry on with my life.

• Posted

Hi from the US of A..I had made the same decision and am now in the 9th week of recovery. It was supposed to be laproscopic but the condition of my colon made it necessary to open about a 3" incision below my belly button. I too was suffering regular flares that I tried to manage with diet, exercise(walk, hike) and supplementation(vitamins, probiotics) but it was affecting my quality of life to a point that was unbearable. I will advise that you do a good backround on the surgeon you choose and ask plenty of questions.

My surgeon was skilled but lacking in interpersonal skills. I know recovery is said to be 4-6 weeks but this time is extended to 8 weeks or more if you have to be opened up like me, the initial 2-3 weeks were not easy but plan so that you can have assistance available at least the first couple weeks. I now am enjoying a reasonable diet that includes foods I shied away from before surgery and have pretty healthy bm's. Proper hydration, diet and supplements still a part of my routine.

I will tell you, avoid alcohol for at least 3 weeks or more and when and if you do imbibe, be reasonable..alcohol has seemed to cause irritation so use caution.

My faith in Jesus Christ certainly played a major role in managing my recovery, prayer and time in God's Word strengthens is priceless.

May God bless you and give you peace and healing.

• Posted

Thanks so much for your support. I don't drink at all as I also have A Fib. I'm hoping to colonoscopy done before surgery will give the surgeon a better idea of what has to be done.

• Posted

I finally went in for surgery last May and am so glad I did it. I too had multiple attacks (14+) in 18 months even though I ate very little and followed the program. If I hadn't refused to budge from my sub par doctor's office during my follow up last year February without a referral for surgery I would not be here. Like Anthony said, do your homework, I lucked out with a surgeon who actually listened and believed me. I ended up with open cut surgery where they removed 4" of my colon. Both my sub par doctor and the GI insisted I had a small hemorrhoid...wrong. If the GI would have gone a smidgeon further he would've discovered massive scar tissue and holes in my colon, hence the sepsis. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and listen to your body. You know it best. I'm still healing from both the surgery and damage caused by the antibiotics + sepsis. Catch it early and you will have a much easier healing process than me. It took only a couple days after surgery for the non stop nausea to go away, but as long as you do exactly what you're told, exercise, lots of hydration, you can begin to feel more normal and eat a more variety of foods you couldn't eat before. Remember though, the surgery only removes the damaged tissue, not the disease. You still have to be careful of what you eat and how much.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I'm thinking this is the best decision however I know there are risks but there are risks if I don't go for it. I just hoping for the best.

• Posted

My story alone would give you an example of what can happen without the surgery. I was told the "rule of thumb " is if a person has 3 attacks within a year, surgery is highly likely. I feel so much better than before surgery. I was also extremely swollen from the infection. When I look at pictures from that time period I can't believe how big I was. Since my surgery I have lost 25 lbs, and am losing between 1-4 lbs a month. Still can't eat gassy foods *broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage or brussel sprouts. Eventually I will be able to eat them. New foods you will have to try a bite of something you haven't eaten since before your disease. Wait a couple days to see your body's reaction. I'm now able to eat salads (no tomatoes), steaks, some Mexican food (nothing with seeds and not too spicy), all in moderation. I stick with what my own policy, eat as much as the size of your fist.

• Posted

Sandi, we are all hoping for the very best results with your decision to do surgery. Would you keep us posted of your progress as you heal? Many of us may be facing this challenge and it would be helpful to have your input.

• Posted

Thanks so much for your input. I really appreciate it. Yes I will give my diverticulitis friends a play by play account of what happens. Today I am seeing the surgeon so I will post later today.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.