I think I might have herpes, Symptoms help?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had unprotected sex on the night of December 31. 4 weeks later I began to have sore legs, groin and buttocks with shooting pain from my buttocks down my left leg and sometimes my right. I also have shooting pains in my arms. My lymph nodes in my groin don't feel swollen. I have been having this leg, buttocks and groin pain for almost 6 weeks now, and it is worst when I sit. The reason I suspect this is herpes is because I did an online search of "leg pain and unprotected sex" and herpes came up. I have had no other symptoms that would indicate herpes. Just the leg, groin and buttocks pain. I went to my doctor 5 weeks after the unprotected sex and had a herpes blood test done. I don't have the results yet but usually no call back is a negative result where I live. If this isn't herpes what else could it be? I do a lot of sitting through out the day and recently after a 7 hour car ride I could barely walk without limping do to groin pain. this was 7 weeks post possible exposure.  Almost 10 weeks now and still no other symptoms.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Four weeks is late for a first "outbreak", of which you didn't even develop skin symptoms. Symptoms typically occur within 1-2 weeks. Your blood test won't tell you too much at 5 weeks either (except your baseline). It needs to be the IgG antibody test done at 3 months. I suspect your sore legs are from other causes and would be very surprised if you test positive for herpes from the information you've provided.

• Posted

I sure hope so. Looking back it may have been 3.5 weeks since possible exposure. But still, no lesions and I have been watching diligintly.

I do also get a pain in my left buttocks close to my rectum when I sit. Also the pain gets worse at night but is less severe/absent in the morning.

• Posted

15 weeks post exposure and still the same pain. No lesions
    • Posted

You can do the IgG test for herpes if you want, as 15 weeks post-exposure is adequate. Unlikely that you have herpes, though.
    • Posted

Have you had any itching in groin area? A stabbing pain shooting in the penis (if your a male)? Also, have you had any tingle pain in the neck? Curious because I'm in the same boat, waiting for 3 month period to be retested...tested 8 days after exposure and supposedly took the "wrong" "unreliable" IgM test which I find extremely hard to believe is unreliable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.