I think I've been depressed for 1 year

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi.I'm 17.I have depression and I guess it's getting worse. I cannot sleep at nights because I am afraid of the future. I sleep during the day and I can't eat, I want things to be perfect but now my self-confidence is so low and I do not have friends anymore. I used to be an active and popular girl. Now I m like a shadow. I know why it all has started, it's because I have always wanted to manage all things alone and win all the school competitions. I cannot focus now on anything, I have to go to the university,but first I have to learn and I just can't anymore. Some months ago I was prepared for a French exam, but there I just could not handle things and I went out, I left it, I gave up. I don't want to take anti depression pills because I know that they are not just a way to solve things,but they also have a bad influence. I'm dying, I don't know what to do. 

2 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi 17yrs is far to early in life to be depressed ! Any ideas on what was the trigger that sent you off ?

You must talk to your parents and also talk to your GP , you have to believe in yourself also you must love yourself, look into a mirror and mentally tell you self that you are agood exciting beautiful person. Try some meditation or Reiki classes, get involved in new groups or activities, try and make some changes to your lifestyle even hobbies I found horse riding and got envoled into photography was a good help for me.Also spend some time Google on the net.

Best wishes Alexander.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi and I know my advice may not be what everyone would say or even agree with but as a 31 yr old guy who's had depression since I was 10 I'd say if anything I know more then most on how it affects us at a young age.

Before that though you have to stop caring about been the best until you clear your mind nothing will work I'm not saying don't be the best you can I'm just saying don't think about it but at your age that was easier said then done so concentrate on the things that occupy your mind but allow your mind to be empty.

For example I'd play the piano but it allowed me to think about other things such has coming up with the next chapter of the book I was writing or just think about what I wanted for dinner it didn't matter if I made mistakes as it was a kind of meditation to clear my mind and relax as best I could.

Also when it came to exams I didn't care what I got or how I did and for me playing the piano helped so did playing Mario kart with my lil brother which is another reason I needed an empty mind because I had to help raise my brothers with my mother an unless your the oldest sibling been told by everyone to be a good role model you won't know the pressure but again I emptied my mind so it wouldn't effect me.

Of course though most of this helps if you can be alone on your own somewhere quiet where you can empty your mind.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Well if you need more help im here.

Just remember if you do go with my approach that it takes a long time to stop caring about everything and even now they are occassions when something will make its way into my concious or sub concious mind which i'll start thinking about which will only get worse an wont end until im spiraling to the bottom of a ever increasing depressive state.-

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Speak to your GP and ask for alternative forms of therapy to medication - you'll be given a choice of CBT, guided self-help, EMDR or Counselling.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up