I took my rapid hiv test but im still worried

Posted , 4 users are following.

I went to my local clinic and took a rapid HIV test ( 25 days since exposure ) results are negative am I in the clear or should I still be worried ?

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, you are probably negative but you must retest after 1 month with a 4th generation test. And the most important thing is to see a doctor.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Z Your find these new early tests are accurate, but if you feel like it, do have another one done in 4 weeks time.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

A negative result does NOT necessarily mean that you don't have HIV. That's because of the window period-the time between when a person may have been exposed to HIV and when a test can accurately tell for sure whether they have HIV. The window period varies from person to person and is also different depending upon the type of HIV test.

Ask your healthcare provider about the window period for the test you're taking. If you're using a home test, you can get that information from the materials included in the test's package. If you get an HIV test after a potential HIV exposure and the result is negative, get tested again after the window period for the test you're taking to be sure. For example, if your health care provider uses an antigen/antibody test (also known as a fourth-generation test) performed by a laboratory with blood from a vein you should get tested again 45 days after your most recent exposure. For other tests, you should test again at least 90 days after your most recent exposure to tell for sure if you have HIV.

If you learned you were HIV-negative the last time you were tested, you can only be sure you're still negative if you haven't had a potential HIV exposure since your last test. If you're sexually active, continue to take actions to prevent HIV, like using condoms the right way every time you have sex and taking medicines to prevent HIV if you're at high risk .

For more information, please visit the CDC websites:

HIV/AIDS: Testing

[b]https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/basics/testing[b].html

HIV Testing

[b]http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/testing/index[b].html

For. Cdc themselves

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

A negative result does NOT necessarily mean that you don't have HIV. That's because of the window period-the time between when a person may have been exposed to HIV and when a test can accurately tell for sure whether they have HIV. The window period varies from person to person and is also different depending upon the type of HIV test.

Ask your healthcare provider about the window period for the test you're taking. If you're using a home test, you can get that information from the materials included in the test's package. If you get an HIV test after a potential HIV exposure and the result is negative, get tested again after the window period for the test you're taking to be sure. For example, if your health care provider uses an antigen/antibody test (also known as a fourth-generation test) performed by a laboratory with blood from a vein you should get tested again 45 days after your most recent exposure. For other tests, you should test again at least 90 days after your most recent exposure to tell for sure if you have HIV.

If you learned you were HIV-negative the last time you were tested, you can only be sure you're still negative if you haven't had a potential HIV exposure since your last test. If you're sexually active, continue to take actions to prevent HIV, like using condoms the right way every time you have sex and taking medicines to prevent HIV if you're at high risk

From cdc themselves

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up