I tried

Posted , 7 users are following.

I tried telling my mum about how ive been feeling and that I can't cope anymore she just told me that my life is perfect and I can't be feelings this way as I have no reason to what's the point anymore

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

my mum, has always been a downfall for me, never encouradged me, always kicked me, when i was already down, so i cut her out of my life, for many years at a time,

i would make efforts to patch things up, an soon enough she would be back to her old ways,

i told her i needed to talk to her, i was going to explain i was going to take my life, and she must not blame herself etc, an i was going to explain the reasons why, my dad also commited suicide,

however, i never got the couradge to tell her, and just disowned her again, i am not suggesting you do the same, you clearly dont have an open understanding / bond with ur mum,

as every else has adviced, you need to see a GP/Counseller etc, i hope you do, i didnt get round to battling with my childhood depresion till mid 30's it all came back, upon sobriety, best thing i did was too seek medical attension, and i wish i did so, at a far younger age,

• Posted

I sympathize with you , Katie. I remember having a similar reaction from my own mum. My own daughter is depressed at the moment and I feel I have to tread carefully. When I went on anti-depressants I had no sympathy from my mum. She just couldn't understand or accept it. At a time like this, in particular, you need someone understanding and patient around you. Usually, someone who has suffered depression herself, or himself, would be best, as that person can understand what you are going through. Try and look for company that's kind and understanding. Very often, older people have more time and inclination to talk. Best of luck.
    • Posted

There is no one around me who is going through or has gone through depression. I have spoken to a friend about this and admittedly it helped at the begining, ive been through lots of ups and downs within the past year since then, and this is the worst ive ever been. Shes been amazing at not judging and trying to understand but she doesnt know what to say and I dont expect her to know but unfortunately its not enough anymore to help. This forum has helped being able to read others stories and being able to share my own but I know it wont mske me get the help I need. How old is your daughter has she seen a gp? if so what was her experience like?
  • Posted

Hi Katie I am the same as the others.   I have been depressed since about the age of 10 and while there were warning signs, on looking back,  it was never picked up by my family or my school.    I left home at 18 and at 19 had a breakdown and ended up in hospital.    All my mother could say bitterly was 'Huh I never had time for a breakdown'.   I knew then I was on my own with it and family couldn't or wouldn't be able to understand or help me.  I never broached the subject with them again until 40 years later when I told my youngest sister.  Her response?  'What have you got to be depressed about'?  she said disparagingly!   I told a middle sister who went silent from embarrassment,  and I told my oldest sister who said 'Yes I am too'  and rattled on only about herself.    I gave up for good then.  

I have good friends who I am talk to a bit.   It is a bonus if your family can understand but don't expect it.  x. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.