I tried my first dose last night, 10. insomnia

Posted , 5 users are following.

Could not sleep at all , and it's now 9:17 am. I had frequent urination. Still constant feeling of dread. Pins and needles on my arms?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

If this is ur first dose it takes a while to adjust round abt 2 weeks u might get side effects maybe not but if you do they should settle
  • Posted

Hi elsa

You are at the beginning of a long journey to wellness and you will feel better in time and in even more time your anxiety will be under control and you will feel joy in life again.

in the meantime expect some unpleasant side effects which are awful but that's all they are side effects they won't kill you. As the medication starts to work the anxiety will come in waves and some days will be worst than others.You need to try and let the anxiety happen don't tense up and fear it because this makes the situation worse.Accept it wait til it passes and keep thinking you are a step closer to being well.

it will take at least six to ten weeks so hang in there. The second time I went on to citalopram it took me six months to be completely anxiety free with lots of anxiety issues which I didn't have the first time round!

You need to persist and be patient because it will get better. Keep posting and let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Yes, I know it will take time.

But it seems like those pills were awful, I stayed awake for almost 44 hours. And the anxiety was worse and the dread was overwhelming. I know it's only I night of trying it, but I just can't take something that makes me feel even worse than before. I really appreciate your message of hope and I might need to try something different.

I'm seeing a psychologist as of yesterday, so maybe we can really get down to the bottom of this. Also, I have been praying very much, so God will always be by my side in the process.

Was your anxiety happening all day or just some parts of the day?

• Posted

Hi Elsa

at first I experienced anxiety all day every day and it woke me up in the middle of the night heart pounding,pins and needles, and like a hot rush through the body as well as shaking and trembling.

As the meds began to work the anxiety became less ,And I would be fine during the day and then ,the anxiety would come back at night.I would be unable to relax and watch TV or read because my thoughts were on myself continually and the slightest twinge or ache would become significant and I would think something else was wrong ,the doctors had missed something!

The morning anxiety was there for a long time and the last thing to go.Now I don't give it another thought .

It is really difficult at first and I had to take xanax to take the edge off the anxiety and help me sleep.These were only temporary measure but they helped me through the awful initial stage.

Hope my experience helps you.xx

• Posted

Yes, it did.

Makes me feel like I'm not the only one this is happening too. It's very difficult sometimes to deal with, especially when it's all day. The most bothersome is the continuous thoughts around the way you feel. Do you ever feel like a heaviness in your head and chest?

• Posted

Gosh yes ,I used to feel a tightness at the back of my head  at the base near the neck.Also a heaviness in the chest and like a pain going through from the chest to the.back.I was totally self absorbed and aware of every little twinge in my body and then I would become anxious and developed like a health anxiety.So what you are feeling is typical of our condition.

I went to St. Vincent's Anxiety Disorder clinic here in Sydney and they told us that they would teach us how to control the anxiety but it is something that is rarely cured. I went off medication at one stage successfully very slowly and was anxiety free for eight years and then it came back full throttle less than two years ago I was a mess and then went back on Citalopram and it took six weeks for things to improve and six months to be anxiety free. I used to cry and shake in the mornings and never thought I would be well but little by little I started to feel well and one morning I woke up anxiety free! I'm sure this will be your experience too and it may not take as long as me.I had counselling too and that helped. Post whenever you feel awful and we will support you .xx

• Posted

Thank you for the support!

I know there is more people who suffer, but those feelings can make you feel so isolated, even with support, but I'm trying. With God's help things will get better.

Do you take medication for the nausea?

Mines is pretty bad, but I don't throw up.

• Posted

I did take medication for the nausea my GP prescribed it and it worked but can't remember the name of it. Ask your chemist or doctor because it will relieve you of this symptom at least!
  • Posted

Hang in there smile this is my second time on citrolphrom and my first night was horrible but after that iv been fine....im on my 8th day of taking it...try taking it at 5pm that's what I did after taking my first dose at 10pm i had horrible side effects but after taking it at 5pm iv felt better
    • Posted

May I ask why you stopped and started again?

I have really bad anxiety that I just found out I had a 3 weeks ago. It seems like I can't come out of it. I actually have had to take time off at work.

• Posted

I also have no desire to eat, I must force myself to do so.

It's not like me. I used to love food. And now it's just like the desire is no longer there. Maybe it just all the anxiety.

• Posted

Hi Elsa 

with your loss of appetite ,try making a healthy smoothie with fresh fruit or blend some vegetable juice and make a green smoothie.Your body needs good nutrition.The other good thing is fruit and yoghurt. I was just like you and couldn't stomach anything.All I had was bananas which are good for the nerves and chamomile tea with honey.

• Posted

I will try that. Thank you! It is appreciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.