I've always been Shy/Anxious, but now I've grown up it's become a major problem

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone,

Like the title says - I've been shy and anxious since I was a child because of the things I had to deal with as a Child (Domestic Violence between parents etc) - I turned this all around when I was in high school (year 10) was alot more confident if not too confident and it was great, I was popular, I started smashing exams and then I left highschool 3 years ago.

I began College doing Computers, I flew through it and finished june of last year, and because I basically made my money from home I never needed to look for a career (I ran an online Business which I stopped).

Basically I went on Holiday last summer and came back not in the same frame of mind, I start feeling sick when I go to restraunts, when I'm in a busy area like a Bar/Pub - I've suddenly developed travel sickness and I start shaking with nerves if I have to do something not in my daily routine e.g. Go to the bank/Barbers. (I've become distant with my friends because they work 9-5 every day, and go clubbing on the weekend in which I cannot do because i'm too anxious anymore to go out drinking) I'm stuck in my room with nothing to do & my main problem is that I can't look people in the eyes which is a constant strain on my mind as it isn't normal, I can't glance or look at their nose for some reason.

I've spoken to my Doctor who has refered me to some councelling place in my Town, which they have turned round and said because I'm not suicidal I'm not important and have to wait 4-5 months to be seen (this is all well and good for someone who is mentally stable right now, but I specifically told them each day I'm doing less, going out hardly ever now and can't even get any benefits to keep me aloat until I start my councelling because I can't go the Job Centre.

All I'm looking for is some advice with someone with a similar problem, I don't even know why I'm writing this it just came to my head to get it out I guess.

No idea if this all made sense, but thank you if you attempted to go through this wall of text.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Your not alone with how you feel. I'm paying for a private counselling. And taking anti depressants for anxiety and depression
  • Posted

I do understand totally. My childhood was similar ink guess and I often feel I annoying a price of somebody else's making ..... Thing is millions of people have it ffor whatever reason ! Could be a death or traumatic experience of any kind or can be there through what to others is a nothing that you should just be able to to get on with. So we have to deal with it ! It's so scary I remember and it does often do it around the age you are it did it to me. I was terrified..... It's not easy but keep pushing yourself out fior even half an hour it will help even thou it won't feel like it.No caffeine. Little alcohol exercise and healthy food all helps.This takes time but you are not going mad.It's irrational thoughts doing this like I will never get better ! It lives on uncertainty.So unless you have super powers that I don't no about try saying I feel like this cos I am uncertain. Make light of it. Laugh at it but push todo normal things. May be tell a white lie and get the counselling sooner Think I would when you anxious you do the rite thing but I have learnt it doesn't always pay off. So push for counselling Self help books. Take control of your recovery.I promise it helps. Accept its there and carry on. It will ease off when you start thinking differently but takes time and hard work. I am 50so learnt ways to cope. Still learning really but I have been where you are and being shy stops you combatting it so you have to really push yourself. You will find the strength it just comes from dune where. X I

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.