I've been experiencing anxiety for 2 months now

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been expericing anxiety for two months now and I'm really struggling to deal with it. It started off with just feeing anxious every now and again, but gradually progressed to the point where I'm getting severe chest pains and struggling to concentrate, as well as having panic attacks. I really don't understand where it has come from.

The only other time I have ever experienced anxiety was when I was at university, but it was only very slight and I could understand where it was coming from, as I was really stressed and completely overwhelmed by all the pressure. This anxiety however has just crept up on me and its horrible.  

I eventually went to the doctor who prescribed me with 40mg of propranolol. I found this dose too high, as all I wanted to do was sleep and I was getting really bad headaches. I'm now taking 10mg. Does anyone feel like it is helping them? I'm still getting chest pains, having panic attacks, feeling tired all the time and not being able to sleep. Does anyone have any advice on how to cope.

Thanks. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi rachael

​Did the dr do any blood tests to check your thyroid gland.

Mind my asking you your age group?

Personally I think you need an MOT to check for physical causes first before being treated for anxiety which may be a sign of a physical condition.

In the meantime try breathing.relaxation techniques and if you feel any worse please contact the out of hours drs or 111.

• Posted

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply. I'm getting blood tests done on the 12th to check for anything physical, as I went to another doctor and they said it may be a sign of a physical condition. I'm 25 and was told it can be quite a common thing.  

Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it. 

• Posted

Hi Rachel so sorry for what you're going through but I definitely agree with the first person who replied to you you should go get checked to make sure that it's not physical I got there the same thing as you I got real bad 8 years ago I wanted out with tachycardia it took a month for my medicine to kick in to slow my heart rate but my anxiety went away but I was just like you I couldn't sleep I didn't sleep for two months I lost 30 pounds I couldn't and now it started all over again I have an appointment with the heart doctor on the 12th of this month but he's spending so much time at the hospital has to be at the hospital that day so now I can't get in until the 14th sometimes like a deal with the symptoms if I don't have a tickle feeling in my chest but when I do it's hard to deal with feels like someone squeezing my head my throat gets tight and all that I keep myself busy I do feel a little bit better and then sometimes I don't even though I can't feel my heart racing until I sit down it's still there I'm going through it right now I was okay all day yesterday and most of the day today you're not alone it is very hard but just try to keep yourself busy even though you're still a little bit focused on it you're more focused on what you're doing and you feel better if you need somebody to talk to I'm here

• Posted

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry to hear that you are going through it too, and I hope you feel better soon and your hospital appointment goes well. I'm going to get blood tests done on the 12th, as I went to see another doctor and they said it may be a sign of a physical condition. 

I'm glad I found this page, as its nice to be able to talk to people who actually understand what you are going through. I've spoken to some of my family about it, but then I feel guilty because I know they're worrying. I've also spoken to some of my friends, and they do listen, but I can tell that they are uncomfortable and don't really know what to say. 

Thanks for your advice smile 

• Posted

Thank you and I hope your appointment goes well too although I may not wait for mine I may go to the hospital I've been able to deal with it for this long but now I got that different breathing feeling like I did it years ago and that's harder to control but we'll see what happens hope everything goes well for you thanks again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.