I've been feeling depressed and don't know what to do

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 47 and I haven't felt right for months, I find it really difficult to talk to people, I have only just this week spoke about my feelings to my wife for the first time, I just don't know what to do next, my wife said see a doctor but I don't know how I would even start that conversation 

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi stuart youve made tbe first move in getting help would would you wife go to the doctors with you ! i would guess she would and her input would help the doctor to make a informed diagnoises ! i wish you well and good luck david !
    • Posted

Thank you for your advice, I'm sure lyn (my wife) would come, thanks again

Stuart

• Posted

hi stuart good luck and i wish you well in going to the doctors take care also david !
  • Posted

Hello Stuart, It's good that you have come to this forum as people here will be understanding. Please go to your GP, there are many treatments available. You may benefit from Counselling which is non judgemental and confidential, and is on a one to one basis. It's great that you have a supportitive wife. Good luck and you can always come here for supportive too. Remember you are not alone.

Best wishes.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

I think depression and anxiety must be one of the problems doctors see every day.  Just tell him how you are feeling.  I am glad you were able to tell your wife.  How about suggesting she comes to the doctor with you.  She can explain how she is finding your low mood lately and she may remember things he tells you that you may forget.

I often took my daughter along with me as it helped a lot.  If you don't want to take your wife, perhaps you could write everything down and when you get to doctors you will know what to tell him, or you can show him what you have written. 

Your wife is right, you must see a doctor.  Take care and let us know what you decide.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.