I've been feeling like I'm not real for about 2 months, how can I get rid of this derealization?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with anxiety and been given beta blockers but they have just stopped the panic attacks not the dreamy unreal feeling I have nearly all the time. I function pretty much normally, I don't think other people can tell how weird I feel but I feel completely insane and am struggling to cope, what do I do? How do I stop this?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Meds will only ever take some of the symptoms of anxiety away, they wont actually cure the anxiety.  The symptoms will be a problem as long as the root cause is there.  Therapy is really the only way to help you resolve issues, meds cant do that
    • Posted

Hi, thank you, I'm starting therapy next week hopefully, can you give me any idea of what to expect in the sessions and how long til they take effect? 
    • Posted

it really all depends on a lot of things. theres lots of different kinds of therapy, each works differently.  it also depends on how invested you are in the process, how open you are and how much you share.  CBT is a common first route for therapy, it works for some - but it also doesnt help a lot of people. its important to be honest with the therapist, if you feel things arent helping then let them know so you can request a different kind.  Theres really no timescale, its too individual
  • Posted

Beth...the beta blockers will help with the panic attacks, but you also need to ask your doctor about anti-depressants...that will really help raise your seretonin and make you feel more "normal"...I hope this helps, sweetie...
  • Posted

derealization happens when your under alot of stress and it basically protects you from anymore stress i know its scary but just ride it out till it passes. the more u fight it and fear it the worse itll get rolleyes you'll be ok

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.