I've been getting really bad anxiety/panic attacks

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, about once or twice a day I just start getting a feeling were I need to increase my breathng rate then all of a sudden I feel like I can't breathe/catch my breath so I then start Panicing  an then comes the dreaded worry and panic which I try to contain but I just can't, the annoying thing is I get these panic attacks because I think about past ones and I can't seem to shake it off, I've never been diagnosed with anxiety as such but from a lot of personal experience I know exactly what it is. So I was wondering if anyone maybe had some suggestions on how to help with this or better ways of calming myself down, thanks plus I am 18 years old male 

2 likes, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

If you feel you can't breathe or catch your breath, it might be because you forget to exhale properly (especially since you mention increased breathing rate). Maybe you can see if this is indeed the case next time you have a panic attack? 

You could try deep breathing excercises to try to control your breathing before the attack starts, or during one to try to calm yourself down. There's a lot of information about it on the internet, including youtube tutorials and such. See for yourself how (and if) it works out, and contact a therapist who can help you with your fear of panic attacks.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I am with you on this one I have trouble breathing and can't catch my breath.  I get dizzy with my anxiety and panic and I am always afraid of getting a dizzy spell and because I am thinking about it and it is in my head it happens a vicious circle.  I recently got an iPod and download some apps on breathing I searched and yes they exist 😀 thought I could listen to them when I am out and about if I need to and it is discreet enough to do so! It was only since I joined this forum that I realised it is not just me that feels like this as it is so annoying when you are supposed to be out enjoying yourself but are too busy worrying about panicking!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Dear Sean

You've been given some excellent advice on breathing techniques and I add my voice to that advice.

In addition, there is something that you can do to gradually limit the intensity and frequency of the attacks. My advice in no way is meant to diminish how horrible and frightening a full-blown panic attack can be. People frequently describe it as if "they are dying", so I start from that point.

You are likely familiar by now with the fear-adrenalin-fear cycle. If not, let us know, or check it out on the web. This will explain the mechanics of what is happening to you. Once you understand how panic attacks work, you have a powerful tool to help you control them.

It's very important to remember that even though it may feel appalling while you are going through it, a panic attack is not going to do you any physical harm whatsoever. Many people start to worry if their heart may be damaged, or something in the brain, but not so. Basically, a panic attack is what your body is meant to experience if you were suddenly and unexpectedly facing a life-threating danger. However, you are experiencing them when there is no danger, so instead of running for your life or fighting off your attacker, large amounts of adrenaline just wash around in your bloodstream with nowhere to go, and that causes the symptoms.

Next time you think you are going to experience this, try to remember what it is, try remembering that you are only fearing fear itself and you are in no danger, and if possible, if the symptoms kick-off, try letting them flow through you. Experience the feeling, focus on it, and remain aware of what is happening and how. If you can practice this, then you should find the attacks become milder because your anxiety doesn't react as strongly, and they should also reduce in number.

If you have any more questions about this, please feel free to ask. Will be thinking of you mate with a great deal of understanding and empathy.  :-)

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I got a book from Amazon...Thrive by Rob Kelly....sort of gives a reason why we get so anxious and have panic attacks....also a way to stop the thoughts before they take hold...mind its about 25.00. I think the actual book is best because you need to do exercises and stuff....but has really helped me...and I've tried loads of different things.best wishes.....let's know how it goes...
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Sean I remember having a really bad panic attack in a shopping centre once where I could not catch my breath.  I had just had a Renogram and thought I was having a bad reaction to the dye.  Embarrasingly security wheelchaired me into the Doctors and the Doctor said it was just a panic attack and told me to hold my breath for a minute.  It was such a simple thing and it worked!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks for all of the posts today they've been rely helpful just reading them and it's sort of nice to know I'm not the only one who feels like this, i really appreciate it and I shall let everyone know how it goes
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Just relax, try not to panic, when you get this situation you recollect your previous experience thinking that that does not last long. You just need to work on reducing the duration and frequency thats it. If you are positive on that then the duration and frequency will reduce on its own. 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi everyone so since this post I've found a brilliant way to try and deal with my panic attacks, whenever I feel one coming on I grab some ice cubes and squeeze then and it turns my attention away and takes the panic away, although I am still experiencing panic attacks not as frequently I have recently started getting like sort f dizzy spells or we're you feel like your going to fall over and can't concentrate properly sort of feeling I was wondering if anyone had any ideas?
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up