I've been having panic attacks and Anxiety for a while now. What do I do?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

I am sixteen years old, and lately I have been diagnosed with Anxiety Disorder.

It happened one day out of the blue, all of a sudden, when I was at the gym. I suddeny got hot and cold flashes, I was dizzy, panicked and I felt like I was going to faint any minute.

Since then, nothing has been the same. It has been almost four months since my first of many attacks.

My appetite has dropped since, I barely get out of the house if I don't have to. I still go to school, but sometimes I go home in the middle of the day because it's too much. 

I am frustarated and hopeless about the situation.

I have'nt been out with friends since, no more going out, no more fun trips. Everything scares me. 

I do everything I possibly can: I meditate every morning and night, I try to go to school to keep my mind off everything else, I work out, eat healthy, go to therapy, and nothing is happening.

I am not on any medication, I thought I would try fixing the problem without any.

My usual symptoms are: Dizziness, light headed, shaky and wobbly legs, I feel like I am going to faint any second, upset stomach, foggy, blurry, and the need to get out of the place I'm in, claustrophobic, my face and feet burn up, I feel very hot, and so on.

Everyday I say: Today is going to be the last one like this. I am going to be okay. This will pass in a minute. But it just doesn't, and I am so sad. I don't know what to do anymore.

Do any of you guys have any advice? I feel so alonesad

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

First off I want to say, I love the positivity. Even though you know that you have anxiety you tell yourself that it will be okay and this will eventually go away. You're right Ronnie, it will go away. No one knows how long it will take, or how it will happen, but it will. You are very young and have a really long life ahead of you and positivity is the key to anxiety. You are not alone, ever, so don't think that you are.

As for the symptoms, the more you think about them the worse they get. I remember my first panic attack, I thought I was dying and I immediately called the ambulance. By the time the ambulance got here, my attack subsided and heart rate was back down to normal. After that first panic attack, I had maybe like 2-3 in that year and the panic dissapeared for a few years (this was in 2008). It is now 2016 and I have had panic attacks and really bad anxiety since September of last year. I lost count of how many panic attacks I've had because I get them almost everyday. When this came back, for the first two months I let it control me all the way, I was locked in my room dall day, I didn't eat, I didn't speak to anyone. All I did was cry. Until one day I snapped myself out of it and said HECK NO! This is not going to be me.

I have tried taking prozac, it worked maybe for like a week on my 3rd week then I got really bad, so I had to stop. I have been on propanolol for about a week and so far it's okay, but I haven't been taking the prescribed dose. I was prescribed 10mg 3xday and I have only been taking 5mg once a day and it's working fine for me.

If you feel like you need medication, go for it. If you don't like it, you can always work your way to stopping them. But if you feel like you can handle this yourself, then definitely go for that! It's what's best.

Love,

Leonela xoxo

• Posted

Thank you so much for your support and advice, and for taking your time to share your story with me. It really makes me feel like I'm not alone.

I wish you the best of luck and hope that you will find peace of mind (what we need most).

I would love to hear more from you, if you have anything else you want to share.

Thank you again!

Love,

Ronnie

• Posted

As a sufferer of panic disorder my advice is try cbt but find a therapist that comes highly recommended. Keep busy to try and take your thoughts away from your physical symptoms. Each time you don't think about them for a while treat this as a small win and build on that. Push your self to do the things you used to enjoy and talk openly to people about how you feel.
    • Posted

Thank you so much Jenny!

I really appreciate you taking your time to reply to me and giving me advice.

I really think that I will look into CBT, it looks like the right thing for me.

Hope you are doing well smile

Love,

Ronnie

• Posted

Ronnie - Also check out what your body may be lacking with regard to nutrients and amino acids... do you eat much sugar or flour products?  Do you eat vegetable oil products?  You may just need to find what you are lacking (Take Mood Cure quiz on the web page...maybe read the book).  It sounds like your body/brain hit a wall and needs something.  Also look up gabatrol...  see if that provides relief?   
    • Posted

Hi Lufbery,

I got everything checked out a few months ago and everything came back perfect. 

what do you mean by my body\brain hitting a wall?

Thank you so much for taking your time to give me advice.

I really appreciate itsmile

Ronnie

• Posted

I am saying you may be lacking serotonin, gaba, endorphins in your brain... they are fed through your gut and stress and other factors can use them up.  You need to feed your brain with Protein and amino acids.  Did you have these (serotonin) levels checked?  I am not sure they can do that with blood tests (not sure?).  However, eating a lot of fatty fish helped me also ... eat the skin too!  Feed the brain (which is something like 1/3 omega 3 fatty acid and you need good fats to carry the good stuff to the brain (good fats = butter, chicken skin, salmon, avacodo, etc.).
    • Posted

I dont know if they run seratonin test,has never been offered to me.
  • Posted

I have had panic attacks. Reading about them helps. Most people are scared someone will see them having one,so they avoid going to places. I have never had anyone in public notice I am having one. Best thing you can do is little by little go to things you want to go to. Stay there longer each time you go and try not to fear the anxiety..it is just anxiety and so many people have it. Its also nothing to be ashamed of. Hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

Hello Lee,

It is very true. I am scared of going to school because I am afraid of being in public when the panic creeps on me. 

May I ask how you got over it? How long did it take you?

Because it really feels like an endless tunnel...

Thank you so much, i really appreciate your helpsmile

Ronnie

• Posted

I got my first panic attack at about age 27. I am in my fifties,and back then I had never heard the term panic attack. I was researching what was going on with me,and there it was,those two words. Then I began looking up all I could on the subject. Thats where I learned about reexposure to things you fear etc. I couldnt even go grocery shopping for a while as that is where I had my first attack. I had to flee the store. Now I actually enjoy it. Keep telling yourself when you have one or think you will have one its only anxiety and it will pass. Surpriseing the affect this can have on your brain. Look up Lucinda Basset,lots of good reading there. I rarely have an attack now. I am however on a low dose anxiety med also.
    • Posted

In the area I live in, I don't know any people who are going through something similar to what I am going through. So it's nice to actually hear from a person who understands...

I really appreciate your help and advice.

I hope you are doing wellsmile

xoxo

Ronnie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.