I’ve been hyper aware of my breathing to the point my body doesn’t want to breathe anymore

Posted , 3 users are following.

this started months back when i would get this irrational fear of hypervenhilation. that went on for a month and them i became hyperaware of my breathing, which would summon thoughts like, why should i need to breathe? just stop breathing it feels so unnatural. those soon turned into something terrifying. now my brain is telling me it doesnt want to breath. like, breathing isnt natural or something. like ill be watching a video of someone breathing heavily and it just irritates me and makes me even more scared of what ive got. i dont know what to do. breathing is the only way to live and my brain is trying to defy that. please help me.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi J nope your body is not telling you to stop breathing its your anxiety doing that and it can be really scarey, Breathing is an automated response in your body so the very worst case would be you would faint, that lets your body breath normally again, your not even hyperventilating as such your just trying to control your breathing, try and find something to completely occupie yourself as this will distract you from the OCD your suffering from, are you active, im obviously older than you but mad as it sounds i started going gym and swimming, i cant believe how much it helped, tell me your age and are you right weight

• Posted

Jonathon I have been there with having hyperventilated . Just know that you are probably needing some antidepressant. But you definately need to activate your parasympathetic nervous system through breathing. I now take some time to do some breathing exercises using my abdomen and not my upper chest. It's ok we all breath different ways but taking time to breathe in a way that rocks our nervous system helps so many things. You are probably hyper aware of your breath. I hope you try this exercise and look more into activating the parasympathetic nervous system. This is somethingbibhave done my self. You breathe slowly in to a count of 5 expanding your abdomen out with the breath in then hold for a couple seconds.. Then exhale to a count of 10 slowly. The more you do the easier it will be . This rocks your system helps to ativate parasympathetic nervous system . You'll begin to feel more relaxed the more you do this . Maybe you been upset about something or stressed . I don't know but if you think of a special place . A stream a field anything relaxing and do this breathing it does help. Also mindfulness helps. Think about your self your body how does it feel. Is it tense try relaxing your muscles through progressive muscle relaxation or just visual meditation. Berry Eisen on YouTube has a video for stress relief or sleep i cant remember but its one of the two. Look into that if you like . He has several videos . I don't do hypnosis ever but his video is mild and no quirky stuff . It just relaxes you. I don't do deep meditation either and won't. I don't suggest it and would I keep it light . Your going to do just fine and your going to get through this. Please ask Dr if you coukd benefit from an antideoressant. Remember to exercise too to combat depression if you are having any. One day you'll break this cycle more than likely you'll just forget about how your breathing but until then please take some time out to slow the way you do your daily activities to. If you catch yourself being tense when doing them slow down and take your time. With chores , video games tv or whatever . You might want to do muscle relaxation when you feel you are breathing alot during a movie etc. . In following this discussion. Please Let me know how you are doing. I might be able to suggest more to you.

• Posted

It doesn't matter how you are breathing too much to little. The exercises will help. It's for your body to feel better all the way around.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.