I’ve been on anti depressants almost a year

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I’ve been on anti depressants for almost and year and recently been having real dark thoughts about hurting myself but They are just thoughts and it’s kinda driving me crazy cause I know deep down inside myself I don’t want to hurt myself. So my question is what should I do to stop the dark thoughts as I’ve tried a lot of things and these thoughts been going on a while now sad 

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there it has to be hard living in this kind of pain. Can I ask how old you are? Have you ever thought about getting some help? Diane
    • Posted

Hi yeah I’m 24 and I yeah I have but there’s nothing around my area it’s so far away and I don’t drive 
  • Posted

It's good you are reaching out. Thats the first step for seeing change and getting better. If you are just thinking about it and not actually considering it then it might just be a habit you need to break.   Catch yourself when you mind starts going there and just try to steer your thoughts in another direction.  But if you are actually considering hurting yourself I would strongly encourage you to reach out to a professional.  But the fact that it is worrisome to you please act on it and do something to get help.  Any psychologist could work you through it and find tools to break the habit. 

• Posted

Im scared to mention it to anyone professional as they could section me or something I just don’t have the courage to tell anyone. 
    • Posted

They won't section you for having these thoughts. It's actually quite hard to section someone and they have to have a clear indication that you are at immediate risk of harming yourself or others. From what you've said here, that isn't the case but you do need help with these thoughts.

Do you have a good relationship with the doctor who prescribes your medication? Could you talk to them about this? Maybe tweaking your medication may help.

Many counselors/therapists also offer telephone or Skype sessions so you may be able to access help this way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.