I've been on antidepressants for 5 weeks, but it's not helping and I feel MUCH worse -continue/stop?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking 5mg Lexapro (the antidepressant for sensitive people) for 5 weeks now for generalized anxiety, but do not see ANY change.  My doctor increased the dosage to 10mg, but I do not want to take it because 1) I just started a new job and I don't want side effects to get in to the way and 2) I am afraid of the side effects because I just recently have been developing depression, suicidal thoughts and obsessive instrusive thoughts. I have never had a problem with disturbing OCD thoughts/depression before.

I see a cognitive behavioral therapist once a week and she has great tools, but it takes a long time to train the brain. My doctor is quick to prescribe medication. My acupuncturist said I should get a second opinion.  My friends are 1/2 and 1/2: some say to increase the dosage and to deal with side effects, others say to get off because they cause more harm than good. 

Any opinions would be wonderful!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

Everyone can only advise you on what to do, but ultimately it's your decision on wether you carry on with the medication. Antidepressants are known to make symptoms worse in the beginning and that's why a lot of people stop taking them before they have given them a chance to work. They can take up to 8 weeks to start working, but once they do its like a big cloud has lifted. I speak from experience. I to didn't like the way they made me feel, but I continued taking them and felt so much better for it. I was like a different person. You are having your counselling, but as you said this takes a while. If I were you I would try and perciver with the meds, these aswell as the counselling will really help you on your road to recovery.

Take care

Lisa x

• Posted

Do you get side effects when you raise the dosage? Isnt your body already used to the medicine? How do you know you would get side effects? Maybe it would work and then youd be all good. And if you started getting side effects cant you just stay at the level you are? You wont know if you dont try it.
  • Posted

Ad's make most people worse before they get better.

You know your own body so if you think these are not the meds for you go back and discuss with your doctor

Stay Strongbiggrin

• Posted

SSRIs can take 6-8 weeks to work fully.  If you decide it is not working, make sure you consult your doctor to ween off and try something else.  Hope you find something that works.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.