I've been taking fluoxetine for two weeks and feeling worse than before

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been on a low dose of fluoxetine and I've been taking it for two weeks and I was wondering, should I see my doctor before I stop taking it because it makes me feel not like myself I feel like a robot. I feel like I have no emotions, I keep waking up every night at the same time and my mom thinks it's me getting off of my birth control but this started the day I started taking it. My doctor diagnosed me with general anxiety and I told him I wasn't comfortable taking an anti depressant because the last one I took made me feel sick. I want to take clonazapam because I know it helps a lot better than what I've been getting. How are you getting through this? I don't know what to do... I can't eat or sleep, I'm tired all of the time and I feel like I have no emotions.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have been on 20mg now nearly two weeks it's been horrendous 2 weeks side effects! Feeling sick to ny stomach cannot eat! Just got this awful feeling! Couldn't sleep for first few days! Sleeping better now! I just got no not go in me haven't left the settee really in 2 weeks! You should stick with them though because people say it will get better! My anxiety has been crazy since I started taking them but people say gets worse before better... X

• Posted

I just feel crazy and not like myself and I don't like it...

• Posted

Your not crazy I felt the same like I was going crazy it's not nice!

• Posted

Stick with them by week 3 or 4 you will feel better I am on week 6 and I feel good side effects gone and anxiety under control
    • Posted

yes, i am on 20mg a day of fluoxitine, only just a week on them, in the first two days i felt better, but now my mood has gone down again, you probaly have to get worse before getting better, the brain takes time to reorganise itself, stick with them, thats the best,i also have a heart irregular beat which i take flecinide for, i notice today the heart beat irregular a few times, which is probaly the fluoxitine, but i am sticking with them, but if side effects get to much, i will go to doctor to change medication.i am also feeling a bit dizzy.even when sitting down, my god life isnt a bowl of cherries lol.
  • Posted

Please don't change your meds without talking to your doctor. He/she needs to be in the loop.

• Posted

It is tough during the first few weeks - but it does get better.  I suffered on and off from depresson and anxiety for 15 years, struggling on tri-cyclic antidepressants which didn't really help, but when I was started on SSRI's like these I recovered within 6 months and have stayed well and happy ever since.  For me, the tough side effects were so much better than struggling on for more years.

You're experiencing side effects at the moment - this does ease in time.

If however you really feel you can't cope with the medication side effects, you really need to see your doctor.  Do not just stop taking the meds on your own.

K xx

• Posted

It's just that, I was having suicidal thoughts and they were worse on the medication and so scary that I had trouble sleeping... That's why I don't like the ADs because I've been on another one and that one didn't help at all...

• Posted

Suicidal thoughts can be a side effects too.  Yes the meds can heighten this - but it does wear off.  Of course, you don't want to be feeling / thinking like that at all.  You must speak to your doctor if you feel like that.

There are many SSRI's and they all suit different people.  My son had a breakdown 2 years ago, was prescribed Fluoxetine and couldn't work for 4 months.  He went through absolute hell and also had suicidal thoughts.  He pushed on through and eventually recovered completely by 9 months.  It was a very scary and emotional time for all the family (more so for him) - I had come off my own meds 2 years before all this and had to restart as the stress became too much for me.  My son has been back to full health since last year and has since come off meds. 

I have read that Escitalopram (another SSRI) is an easier medicaton to take, and apparently works quicker.  If you do decide to try another SSRI you should have weekly appointments with your doctor for a progress update.

K xx

• Posted

thanks kate, i read what you had to say about the fluoxitine, i only been on them just under a week, starting toget a few side effects, but as you say, you have to swtick with them, and thats what i will do, angela.
  • Posted

Hi Amy, I was just wondering how your getting on with your tablets? I was prescribed fluoxetine 20mg about 6 days ago and I literally feel like I'm having a meltdown- even worse than before. I swear I haven't eaten properly in days and I'm anxious just watching tv!! I was checking to see if your symptoms have got any better? Cause I don't know how long I can deal with feeling like this.

• Posted

3 weeks I been on 20mg now! Went to the doctors this morning because I'm feeling awful weak/shaky and cannot eat tidy I have lost a stone and half in nearly a month! I felt like you did I was beside myself but it is getting better I'm just suffering with side effects now awful! Hang in there it's the tablets making everything worse atm. It's a roller coaster but if you read everyone's comments it does get better! Hope your ok it's not nice xx

• Posted

Aw thanks Kirsty. Yeah I literally can't eat- smell of food makes me want to puke!! I can only stomach oranges lol. It's just so hard to know wether it's the tablets or just me. But after reading everyone's comments I feel a lot better!! Thank you though xx

• Posted

Onestly I thought it was me and then it was making my anxiety worse worrying! But I have took different antidepressants in the past and they did the exact same to me! No apitite what so ever! Just drink plenty and maybe soup and bland things because it will make you weak if you don't eat! I got this vitamin med from boots now it's got everything you need init because I'm not having enough because of the not eating! Stay strong xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.