I've been told I have IBS but I think it's more than that.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I am really worried that I have something more than just normal IBS. Although I've been told it is, I really think theres something more to it. I know you can get IBS at any age and piles at any age but I am only 18 and I have really bad constipation, to the point I couldn't pass any stool for seven days, a whole week. Its like my body just isnt breaking down my food at all, I dred going to the toilet, I cry a lot because its so painful and even worse now I've managed to get another pile, I can hardly fit a finger up there, let alone pass any stool. I have been dealing with this since I was 14, I had a mentally abusive boyfriend at that time and he would make me have anal sex when I didnt want to but I did it because of the mental state he would put me in and ever since our relationship ended I have had constipation, anal bleeding, piles, stomach aches, feeling tired, depressed. Its ruined my every day to day life. I have changed my diet, ive done everything, the creams etc but nothing seems to work. I have just been in a lot of pain recently and im going to ring my GP tomorrow and ask for scans or something, but I just need someone to talk to about it. Feels like my family dont care. Thanks x

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi gemjarx, I'm so sorry what your young mind or body has had to go through, I'm praying for a complete recovery for you and your health problem.  After you see your doctor and tell him whats going on, you get back on this site and maybe there are some herbs that you can take (that will not harm you, but really help you) Flax seeds, and other things are really good for that, and I give them to my children for constipation.  I will tell you about other things when you get back with us and let us know how you are during.  Be blessed, Jay
    • Posted

Thank you! I'm ringing up the doctors again tomorrow:-) and I'll keep you updated:3 thank you ever so much x
  • Posted

First, I want to thank you for being brave enough to talk about the problems you have had to deal with. I went many years in my life after sexual abuse without talking about it and that took its toll.

First, I want to tell you that I am no doctor or psychologist, so what I am going to write to you is from my personal experience.

In my own situation with IBS, stress plays a factor in causing my diarrhea. I have been told to be thankful for waterslide IBS rather than constipation, and your pain and suffering helps me understand that truth.

I think it is important in your case to understand that your symptoms are all explainable due to the constipation, and may not be a result of the sexual abuse, but it is also possible both are causes. 

I feel you should ask your GP for a colonoscopy, an ultrasound of the abdominal region, a blood test for gall bladder function and a referral to counselling.

I also think you might benefit from a food diary, and ensuring you drink enough water each day after getting enough sleep. If there is one thing I can tell you has improved my IBS symptoms - it is making sure I get enough sleep. If you are under 30, I would recommend 9 hours a day if you can get it. 

Your challenges with the ex boyfriend are extreme enough to seek psychological help. It is often very sinister how sexual abuse affects us, and talk therapy can help us cope with the aftermath of these reprehensible experiences. Understand that you are not at fault for what has happened to you, we are all caring human beings who love and want to be loved and when we are close to someone we often allow things we shouldn't allow because our need for the bond and affirmation will sometimes outweigh our common sense. So, forgive yourself and stop taking any blame for what happened, then focus on getting the medical and psychological help you can benefit from. 

I have limited experience with piles. Enough, however, that I understand how painful and uncomfortable they are. Please ask your GP for as much information as you can possibly find to improve your symptoms, and make sure you are wearing clothing that helps the area heal - things and tight pants, of course, can make matters worse. 

Most of all, don't give up. Your symptoms are not likely from anything more serious than IBS. It is likely that proper medical care can help you get things under control. Your larger issue of needing help with the emotional pains that cause you so much suffering is another area that can improve with regular care. 

Also ask your GP about stool softeners that might help you pass better. Don't be afraid, go forward with the idea in mind that you can solve these problems in a step by step process. Your first step of talking about the problems that brought you here to this forum already has you headed in the right direction. 

I am thankful for your bravery to share your experience, and I wish you every success as you look for answers for your symptoms. Please let us know how you progress. 

• Posted

I'm sorry that you've experienced these things as well:-( thank you for replying! I'm over what happened with my ex, I really am! I'm really happy with my current boyfriend:') but yeah I'm going to see if I can get tests or scans at least as it's gone on for to long:-( but I'll let you know what's going on:3 x
  • Posted

Try digestive enzymes with Lipease, papain ,

bromelain, betaine Hci, Amylase. Like someone said flaxseed and fiber even if powder fiber an plenty of water 2 ltrs at least.theses will break down the foods an help your stomach and soften your stool. Maybe get tested for H'pylori bug could be causing theses problems . Hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.