I’ve been unable to stop crying for two weeks

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’ve been in a time of transition - starting a new job in a new city. I’m two weeks in, and I’ve been feeling really heightened emotions since I started. I’ve been treated for depression and anxiety and am in between counselors as I wait for my new insurance to kick in.

I’ve been crying all the time. Not really at work, but any time I remotely let my guard down I star crying.

Does anyone have any advice for keeping control of crying specifically? I need to be able to get through the day without so many intense crying sessions. I’m concerned it will start taking a toll on work - it’s already taking a toll on the other parts of my life.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi. You are going through a time of change and stress so it makes sense you feel this way. Firstly understand that everything you are feeling is reasonable and is likely to go away a little as you become more confident and settled in your new job and home. Secondly remember you have gotten through this before. It will be temporary. I would suggest looking into relaxation techniques. The best thing I find is if I feel like that to keep busy. The moment you are alone and give yourself time to think is when it hits the hardest. Talking on here really helped me. I didn't feel alone and it was great to have people understand how I felt. Think of the things that make you feel comfortable and safe and do them as much as you can. Also realise that you have moved and started a new job. That takes guys and determination. You are braver and stronger than you think. Hope this helps a little x

• Posted

The crying stopped for me a long time ago. Unfortunately it was followed by numbness. I use to cry in the shower so nobody would see me crying. I try to keep myself busy around the house. Now because of netflix I turn on comedy shows while I putter around the house. stopped watching the news and chick flicks. I dont turn on music....too many reminders. I try not to answer the phone. the question how are you sets me off. I do hope you find some relief.

• Posted

Hi. I found I couldn't listen to certain music and watch my usual.tv shows. I have been watching comedy on Netflix and Amazon too. I also watch a lot of British crime tv and quiz shows. Easy watching whilst I play on my phone. Let's hope things turnaround for you soon. Stay I touch

• Posted

I am in a similar situation.

I have been treated and am still on going for depression anxiety and other disorders, recently I moved out of Home

For the first time and I’m very emotional.

Crying most evenings and not really adapting well to the change.

I just try to keep my mind occupied, I find while I’m distracted I am able to push away most of my negative emotions and it’s only when I have nothing to do or am tired that things get to me.

Change is stressful, and being stressed makes you more stressed. It’s a loop, but just try to find things that relax you. I’m doing DBT therapt right now and it’s teaching me to accept and allow my emotiOne which is horrible as I’ve spent many years doing anything but FEEL.

So I’m not saying constantly keep yourself on the go, because that can be bad for you in the long run but when you begin to feel emotional try to find something to do that comforts you to make you feel more comfortable WITH the emotiOn rather than trying to avoid it all together.

I have so much trouble regulating my emotions which sounds like you’re having the same problem too amd although you could say it’s justified because of the changes you’re expieremcing, everyone knows it’s still not very fun or ideal.

My advice to you would be to try and take up a hobby that is good

For your mind and soul.

Yoga,meditation ect. 

• Posted

You are so right. It's a vicious circle. One negative thought or emotion leads onto another and then it spirals. Distraction is great but like you said at some point we have to allow these feelings to come over us and accept them for what they are. I had a small anxiety attack the other day and I just let it happen. Luckily I was at home so could stay calm. It's learning how to manage these feelings and how to get through them. There is no medical cure at the end of the day. The meds definitely help but we have to learn how to deal with them in our own mind. I start counselling next week and I think CBT will.help me too. It's horrible and I have every sympathy for anyone suffering. I thank God for this forum as it's so helpful to know you are not alone.

• Posted

Cbt can Be a big help, I’ve had it a few times. I wish you luck with everything 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.