i've decided to come clean and not hide

Posted , 5 users are following.

after my anxiety disorder getting increasingly worse and effecting work and uni and home life, i've decided to let people know the extent to my problem. this is a big deal for me as its something i've hidden for years. my doctor has signed me off sick for 2 weeks and i'm going to take this time to think about what i'm going to do and the steps i'm going to take in order to help make myself well. i need an action plan for support from uni, i'm going to start painting, i'm going to think about whether i should quit my job and only concentrate on uni. and although all of these things are good and well, i feel like there's so much work to do, my doctor has changed my tablets again, beta blockers didnt work and now shes given me a different kind of antidepressants. is there light at the end of the tunnel? i also spoke to my older sister last night, finally, she doesn't really believe mental illness exists, well shes never experienced it (lucky for her). she brought up that i might be bipolar, as my mum was, should i tell my doctor this? i knew my mum was mentally ill when i was young but i wasn't aware of what was causing her illness, will this be significant? 

3 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

hi doesnt mean because your mother had bipolar! anxiety and depression can be beaten i am prove of that. take all the help u can get! my sister is the same never suffered but im more caring and senstive to other people and animals she isnt so whoes the better person :-) theres light at the end of the tunnel hang in there your doing all the right things. julie
    • Posted

she's mentioned it also because i have had periods of elated mood, in my last year of sixth form, i did things that were out of character, i moved out of my dads and into someones i barely knew, i bought a kitten, i drank a lot, i slept with more people than i care to admit and i was just a different person, i would sit and draw and i would get agitated with people when they didn't understand me. i lost about 2 and a half stone cause i wasn't eating and i was barely sleeping. looking back maybe that is whats happening 
  • Posted

I was also in the same situvation quit your job as I carried it on in final year with full time and I neded up having anxitey and panic attacks
  • Posted

Tell your doctor everything as think could help her make the corrcect choice for mediation for you. What antidepressent are you trying I am on paxil and works ok for me, with out if I would be lost.
    • Posted

i was on sertraline, i had tried fluexotine a few years ago but it made me a bit akka and i never went back to the doctors for it until recently, she's now weening me off sertaline and trying mirtazapine but i'm scared cause everything ive tried so far hasn't worked, apart from diazepam, it made me feel normal, and happy and obviously she won't prescribe that regularly, and the beta blockers just seemed to make me worse. 
    • Posted

diazepam is addictive dont take that I was  in hospital every few days and I had it once and I went to sleep stright away I tired to get it again and i REserched that its addictive
    • Posted

i know it's addictive and you can build tolerance to it, but what happens if its the only thing that can truly help? it helped me sleep, it helped me function, it helped me talk to people in uni that i didnt know, when usually i would of been sitting there shaking and panicking sad
    • Posted

I finished my degree and bealive me that will not help, right now im wirting and repeating writing on peace of paper of my fears aka one of them being even having medication thats been perscriped bt i have it with me opend and im writing it on scrap paper. u have t build and take one step at a time and pls cut down on job i know u nd income bt u wil regreat it when ur totall drained what yr uni r u in nw?
    • Posted

i'm in my final year now but i always fail at the last hurdle
    • Posted

Let go of the job and concentrate on dissertation, breathing excersices and plenty of excerise
    • Posted

I think chick that you need to have a think about the most important thing to achieve and put the rest to one side for a while. If uni is your main priority then concentrate on that. Don't overwhelm yourself as what is anxiety at present could escalate into something far worse if you are already vulnerable mentally. 

Think about your mental health and uni but also try to keep things in your life as simple as possible. No dramas. You will get through Hun,just be gentle to yourself and find time just for relaxation xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.