I've got the sniffles! :(

Posted , 3 users are following.

Operation due one week tomorrow and I have developed a very slight sniffle. It's been there a few days now and really only seems to be a problem when I go outside and that is when I get a slightly runny nose. I've been to the phamacist and she has given me some Echinacea cold and flu relief tablets. Has anyone here heard of these or used them before?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

H
    • Posted

Hi Lucymum

Had a bit of trouble getting my reply to go on!  I always take Echinacea at the first sign of a cold coming on.  It usually works a treat.  Depending how quickly you take it from the moment you get a sign, it can knock the germs right out of your system.  If you don't take it in time, it will dilute the symptoms.  I usually take one in the morning and one in the evening with food until you feel the germs are all gone.

Hope you are feeling a bit better about your op today, remember we will all be cheering you on.

Love 

Jacqui 

• Posted

Thanks Jacqui, the pack said 1-2 tabs twice a day. so I have taken a couple just and may take another couple at bed time (or might wait til the morning). I should have sorted this last week when I first noticed but I kept telling myself (as I always do) don't be daft you are not ill...I never admit to being ill! Anyway as I said only a very slight sniffle so hopefully with lots of extra vic C aswell I should be ok xx
    • Posted

Hi Luckymum

They should do the trick, take some more at bedtime, always eat something with them they absorb faster.  Fingers crossed you kick the sniffles into touch.

Love

Jacqui 

• Posted

Hi Did the pharmacist know you are going to have a GA next week? I only ask as at my pre op I was asked if I was on any herbal preparations as some interfere with the anaesthetic.
    • Posted

I don't want to be a worry wort but I knew I had heard something, I found this on a BBC web page.

Echinacea

Relevant effects: Boosts immunity.

Concern during surgery: Allergic reactions, impairs immune suppressive drugs, could impair wound healing.

Recommendations: Discontinue as far in advance as possible.

Might be an idea just to check with your consultant or your GP, I had to stop a couple of things I was taking about a week before.

• Posted

Thanks Phoebe, I have only taken the two at lunch time so far so won't take any more till I've checked with the hospital. I did tell the phamacist exactly why I wanted to take something and even told her what operation I was having and she said it was ok to take, but I will still check with the hospital to make sure. I do take starflower oil daily and I took those with me to my pre op and the nurse didn't say anything about those or even say not to take anything else without checking first xx
    • Posted

It Didn't enter my head that the herbals I took could be a problem, as I didn't know when I had my bleeding going on that eating ginger could make things worse, I love ginger, I have only just started eating it again.
  • Posted

Hi Luckymum

Have just been reading the concerns about Echinacea before an op.  As long as you have your last dose on Friday it won't affect your op in any way, and it should have sorted out your sniffles before then hopefully.  If you take some tonight and tomorrow it should get rid of all the nasty germs. 

Love

Jacqui 

Jacqui 

• Posted

Thanks Jacqui

I'm so torn as to what to do for the best, my head is alll over the place, my poor hubby and both the kids have 'copped' it from me this evening, I think I am a walking danger zone! I am going to stick with the paracetamol and extra duvet on the bed and go for the old fashioned 'sweat it out' method. TBF it is such a slight sniffle, under normal circumstances I would not even give it a second thought xx

• Posted

You got to be kidding!!!!!!  OMG.. you can't  have ANY colds or be sick sad

Oh boy..

That stuff sounds like something we have here called "Airborne".. you take it at the first site of a cold.

Hope they help you!!!!  OH... I forgot to get my poem.. I will make a note now smile

• Posted

I'll be fine, not sure if it's all just nerves etc

Looking forward to that poem but totally understand your forgetfulness, I like that now, pre op!! LOL xx

• Posted

Hi Luckymum

It sounds like your nerves have kicked in big time.  Don't worry your family understands, and you can make it up to them later.  You know what they say in the theatre 'big nerves' mean a great performance so you will have your op and sail through recovery like a pro.  Hope you feel better soon.

Love

Jacqui 

• Posted

I think you are right I am totally up and down, tears then laughter...I went into work this morning and got sent home, told me to get myself in a better place ready for op. Not sure I'll be back in before the big day rolleyes
    • Posted

Hi Luckymum biggrin

Now you have some time to get your head into a very calm state, take some 'me' time, chill out and watch a movie, have coffee with a friend, anything that calms the spirit.  Meditation is very calming.  The calmer you are the better your recovery will be.  Deep breaths and Mmmmmm - (that is me meditating.....) it does work.  Or if all else fails, get the brandy out.  Have some fun.

Love Jacqui 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.