I've had my gallbladder out!!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey!

So I finally had my gallbladder on Wednesday just gone!

I was so scared and feeling sick which is normal!

(For info I'm a healthy 21yo female, long family history of gallstones.)

So, they checked me into my room at about 8am and gave me my gown and wristband. They then told me I should be going down to theatre at about 11am.

Just after 11 they called for me, I walked down and said goodbye to my dad, had a massive cry and went and waited for them to call me in.

I'm terrified of stuff like this so as soon as they got me into the anaesthetic room I started crying which turned into a massive panic attack. (God help Dr Foster the anesthetist!) they were trying to calm me and were really looking after me, but after a while they just said 'breathe in this oxygen and you'll be fine!' But me panicking I knew I was drowsy gas and panicked more, but I breathed it in and off I went!

Then I just woke up in recovery trying to pull the oxygen mask off cos it was itchy! All that panicking for nothing haha! As I was coming round I saw Dr Foster who said I was brave, (must of seemed a right wimp!) and then my surgeon came round who said my gallbladder was a lot worse that they expected, thickened and inflamed the stone was huge and it had messed me up a lot.

He told the same thing to my dad and that I would also have to stay in overnight as they wanted me on antibiotics to reverse the mess the gallbladder had made.

I'm now on day 2 of recovery. It's so hard to move as you need your stomach to do the littlest things. I didn't look at my scars for 24hrs but honestly, they are nothing! They are the tiniest things I have ever seen. The one in my belly button is quite big as that's where they pulled the sucker out. That scar is the most painful and it stings more than the rest but hopefully that will go soon. He didn't stitch me up. He used some glue so I was able to shower the next day. (Even though you can...don't! I am so weak it was so hard for me to stay stood up for 5minutes!)

Food wise I haven't been too bad. I've had a tiny bit of jacket potato cheese and beans which was after my surgery. The next morning I had a couple spoonfuls of porridge and half a piece of toast and for tea a had a piece of ham and a pear. Keeping to small meals at the moment.

I feel full very quickly and after moving feel quite sick so eating isn't top of my list at the moment. Im on codine, paracetamol and ibuprofen which is taking the majority of the pain away.

Apologies if this is a bit confusing the codine makes me drowsy.

If there is something here I haven't mentioned ask me in the comments, I'll be more than happy to help you through what's to come!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes, you are a dreadful wimp. But great to hear it's out and you're on the road to recovery. Enjoy!

• Posted

Well done chick! At any age having surgery is a big worry, all the what if's and unknowns.

?I got mine over with, I'm no youngster though, but mine also proved to be in worse condition than expected, with abnormal cells as well, none of which they can tell beforehand from the scans - they only saw some stones and that the gb had shrivelled up somewhat.

?So, we can at least be reassured that it was the right thing to have them out and onwards and upwards from here. Do not rush to do too much, even young people can overdo it and you are right to eat light until your body adjusts. Take care  x

• Posted

Hi Katielouise, I hope you carry on going from strength to strength after this operation. I've got mine out next Wednesday and I know there are a few others on this site have there's next week also so it is good to hear what its like.

?Don't forget not to rush things even if you feel like it especially as your gallbladder was worse than expected.

Take care and look after yourself  xx

• Posted

Well done Katie.

The pants  they  give you are pretty hot NOT.. arnt they.

Be gentle with your self.. Little tip . i put a cushion or pillow over my tummy when coughing or similar and it made it much easier.

Onwards and upwards..

Speedy recovery 😊

• Posted

Those pants are dreadful! Couldn't wait to change into my own!

The pillow is a brilliant idea! I've not been able to cough properly but this has helped loads! Thank you xxx

• Posted

Hi, Katielouise!  

Glad to know that horrible gallbladder is gone!  Please try to be gentle with yourself and take the opportunity to heal!  This is major surgery, and though the outside will heal in 5-6 weeks, the inside will take longer.

Also, since you've been on antibiotics, please consider taking some probiotics, so that your gut bacteria is still in balance.  Remember to get the kind that gets past your stomach acid!   

Please let us know how you're doing! xx

• Posted

That's a good idea, I hadn't even thought of anything like that! Any recommendations? I'll start having a look! I'll do anything to be back to 100%! Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.