I want my happy self back

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

I am wondering if this has happened to anyone else? I am currently in peri-menopause, 52 years old and always been a happy, tolerant and accepting person. I have always been one of those people who like everything, everyone and can see the best in others despite their beliefs or differences.

But I have changed!

I am finding myself furious with people. I no longer make excuses for people and no longer find the best in them. I am angry with conspiracy theorists, outraged when someone doesn't apologise for crappy service and just generally finding myself irritated.

I want to be my old self. I am scared that I am going to stay like this. And the one quality I have always criticised is grumpy, judgemental old people. I don't want to be one.

Please someone tell this is temporary???

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Edited

Dear Jo

I really hope it is only temporary!!! I am exactly like you... Used to be sooooooo patient, happy and nice - now my fuse is very, very short, I am mostly sad, angry or irritated even about the smallest things.

Like you I really don't want to become (stay) a grumpy old lady...

• Posted

Hi Jo

Me too! I used to be eternally patient, kind and confident. Now I flap like a flappy bird at the smallest things. Get irritated/frustrated easily but find it hard to express anger so feel flat as a fart most days and miserable. I feel for you this is a rubbish time of life. I felt more me yesterday so hoping I will again soon. Back at work after time off sick, tiring but trying to get motivated Sending hugs x

• Posted

I completely agree. I feel I could have written your post exactly. I am 52 but I am 3 years post menopause and I miss my old self and my old life. I really hate getting so angry. I do try to count and talk myself down from the anger edged more now. It only works sometimes. Temporary? It hasn't been for me so far. It does scare me that I am going to become that old lady that yells at people. They always scared the bejeezus out of me when I was younger.

• Posted

I must say i feel better knowing i am not alone lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.