I want to feel relaxed but not spaced out!!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi All.Not really improving an awful lot on the FLU.I am fed up with feeling tense.The smallest of things are getting me down....not stresed just low and down.Even a mess in the house gets to me at the mo.I want to be relaxed about this illness and try and go with the flow.I have only ever taken the Flu but Im beginning to think I should be taking something with it to help.I seemed to cope on Flu the last time I took them,but this time it feels different.I know we all get bad days and I do not expect to feel \"ON TOP OF THE WORLD\" every day...Although that would be fab!! :D I was wondering if any of you can recommend any meds that semed to work for you.I have an appt nxt week to see GP and would like to go armed with info.It took alot to get me back there and I do not want to feel it is a waste of time.I would really appreciate your advice.Thank you so much for all your help in advance.Take care and I hope you all feeling ok.xxxx

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pinky

As far as I am aware, fluoxetine and citalopram are the drugs that are offered first as they are generally well tolerated and work well for a lot of people. Next comes mirtazapine and trazodone. I went for trazodone as I wasn't keen on the weight gain associated with mirtazapine. Both are quite sedating. I certainly slept well with trazodone (mainly) but after the first week or so didn't feel too sleepy for the rest of the day. It didn't really help with the depression though. Third option is something like venlafaxine - this is an SNRI so is supposed to work on more receptors on the brain. I took this in conjunction with trazodone. It has lots of horror stories about coming off it which made me anxious about starting it. However, I came off it really quickly (couple of days) and had a few days of feeling weird (pins and needles feeling everywhere and very anxious) but nothing more than that. Finally, if you've exhausted all those options, they tend to go for older tricylic ADs - I guess they leave these till quite late on as the side effects can be worse (and they can be nasty in overdose, a little fact I have tucked away). I am now taking amitriptyline which is very sedating - I sleep like a log but also struggle to get going in the morning. Dry mouth (to the point of no saliva at all - I now take a bottle of water with me wherever I go) and weight gain (I'm not exactly watching what I eat but not really eating any more than normal and am putting on weight). Still, it does seem to be helping a little.

They can also add different meds to ADs - so mood stabilisers like lithium. Lots of different options so I hope your GP will discuss things with you. I think I stayed on flu too long because I thought it should be working and it was my fault that it wasn't. Good luck

• Posted

Hi G.Thanks so much for that advice.I think it is about time I did see my Gp.(appt tomorrow).I have said it before but I find it very hard working out what is \"NORMAL\" and what is \"NOT\".I have given it around 4 months plus and not noticed a big difference like the last time of taking Flu.I think I just expected it to be the same this time round...I was WRONG!!!.I want to go armed with information so as I can discuss all the options.I have to say I do not like the idea of some of the side effects, but again I do not like the irrational thoughts and anxiety that I have been suffering.I think people are beginning to notice the change in me so I think I am getting lower.Somebody actual told me I was really \"Anal\" the other day...Not sure what they meant but it did upset me as I thought I was putting on a good act considering how I feel at the mo.Anyhow I am waffling again something else I happen to think I am ggod at!!! smile Thanks once again for the info and I will keep you posted.Watch this space.P.xx
  • Posted

hi pinky :cheerup:

dont worry about the 'anal' comment, its just some retard trying to be a smart ass :wink: its derived from one of freuds theories :roll:

wiki quote :-

\"The term anal-retentive (or anally retentive, anal retentive), commonly abbreviated to \"anal\", is used conversationally to describe a person with such attention to detail that the obsession becomes an annoyance to others, and can be carried out to the detriment of the anal-retentive person. The term derives from Freudian psychoanalysis.\"

they probably got it from the dear deirdre page in the daily star or sun comic or whatever :wink: tell um to errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm, i better not say lol, good luck at the docs tomorow let us know how you get on :mrgreen:

cheers,

Ken ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :cheers:

• Posted

Hi Ken.Thanks for clearing the anal comment up...cheeky gits eh!!!Ill teach em.Next time I make the coffee Ill be spitting in their cups first. :twisted: :twisted: I dont think they realise how they can hurt someone with comments like that :cry: .I am a very sensitive soul at heart and although I do not show it I do tend to dwell a bit on things like that.I wish I was not so \"ANAL\" but I am so they can kiss my ass!!!! :lol: I will keep you posted on the doc situation.Thanks again buddy.Take care of you. :wink: P.xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.