I want to know why Citalopram

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,all. I have been prescribed Citalopram 10mg by my doctor.I will begin to take tomorrow..although I am phased by some of you comments about the drug.

I want to know what problems you all had to be prescibed this drug in the first place.

I do not suffer with depression... as I told my doctor today.

I have Panic attacks,which means,being unable to go to far from home,being in crowded places,and also open spaces.The symptons these drugs give you,according to the read up,are similar to what I feel already if i go to far from home.

The seem to be more for treating depression ? is this what you alll suffer from ? Please tell me,I am frightened of taking them.

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

Hu, this drug is ti help people like you with Panic Attacks, it takes a while to work and at the begining it makes you feel worse, it took me 6 weeks ro really feel better, the first two weeks are the worse, your body has to get used to it.

You need to stick with it and think you will feel better straight away, also they do not make you feel really happy but help you cope and then makes you feel happier in your self.

Stick with it

Poppy

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Sorry cant type today!!!!

Meant to say [color=red:304ef61eaf]\"hi \"[/color:304ef61eaf] not [color=red:304ef61eaf]hu!!!![/color:304ef61eaf]

also - you need to stick with and [color=red:304ef61eaf]DONT[/color:304ef61eaf] think you will feel better straight away,

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

All I can say is........................STICK WITH IT. I was on 20mg and it worked a treat, then for no reason the panic attacks came back, worse then ever sad 6 weeks later, having upped dose to 40mg I'm back at work and living life as I think it should be smile

Everyone is different, this was my third med and fingers crossed it's the one for me.

Sending you *hugs*

x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, in answer to your question, yes they can be used for panic attacks ( my friend takes 10mg a day for that reason and they have helped her) i take 20mg a day for depression. I didn't feel a dfference for about five weeks, but I didnt have any bad side effects. I've been taking them for five months now and they have helped me immensely. I feel a lot better and feel that they have lifted my mood.

Not all medication suits everyone but give this one a chance and see how you feel after a couple of months.

Good luck, A.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I was given them to level me out emotionally.

I had stuff going on and everything would really wind me up to the point that my thoughts stopped being reasnable or rational. I was not a nice person to be around, put it that way!

I found they really helped me.

There is weight gain and other things that some people have (definately not all people though) but if it helps....

My one bit of advise is that it takes a few weeks to build up the levels to stop the serotonin so don't make any decisions until at least 6 months.

Good luck

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up