I want to stop taking Citalopram already!

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I'm so fed up! I don't see how my life can go from so good, to this complete isolation within a couple of weeks. I'm constantly anxious about my future, and what lies ahead for me. I feel so insecure, and feel like i'm living my life day by day, to survive. Citalopram is just making me tired at strange times of the day, i have NO motivation to do anything at all. I tried to see friends yesterday, but didn't enjoy it at all, i just wanted to be at home, this is not me? I feel like i've got someone elses personality.

Work is so hard, to just be in. I feel like theres no one there for me other than my Mum.

I seriously don't know how i'm going to get through this now. I'm so scared.

I'm seeing my councillor later today, its the only thing thats keeping me going today.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sam, horrible feeling we've all been there although you'll be feeling pretty alone right now. CIT DOES get better although at the beginning your body needs to get used to it. I found lots of early nights, light excercise, deep breathing and talking to loved ones helps heaps. Believe me, you will get back to your former glory, honest... this is just ab blip that you need to go through to get the balance back. Anxiety is massively common because of the stresses of life mainly. Don't put so much pressure on yourself and just take each day as it comes, you'll be better in no time.
  • Posted

Hi Sam I am sorry too hear that you are having the same awful experiences that i too had whilst taking citalopram,When i look back at the last year its been awful i felt as though ive been trapped in somebody elses body,Like you i have had no motivation in doing anything,not enjoyed holidays  and cut myself of from my friends.It truely has been a nightmare.

Initially i was prescribed 50mg then dropped down too 20 still felt much the same i was convinced there was something more wrong with me,I recently had a full blood count taken and were all clear.After falling asleep whilst in work i took the drastic steps of stopping these drugs not ideal no but i decided i couldnt live my life like this.Day one i had no withdrawal symptoms yesterday i felt as if i had all me energy restored and was rather hyper and a little snappy,Bearing in mind

every body reacts differently,I agree its not good too suddenly stop them but it was a personal choice.I have been taking Kalms too try and help me through this.

Please dont feel as if you are alone there are many supportive genuine people who use this site and we are here too help each other.

• Posted

Hi Sam..

Firstly how long have you been on cit for? I know that horrid feeling that anxiety brings to you. I am constantly questioning my life asking questions like “am I good person” “will I settle down” est est..  But what I would say to you is this… If you have only just started it, you need to give it more time at least 6-8 weeks. I am half way through my 5 week and I still have down and wobbly days but oh my goodness, I am so much better a month ago. When back then I wanted to end my own life. The 3rd week was my hardest week, I was very emotional and rocky… The first couple of weeks are the hardest… But you can do it : ) Cit does great things to people and I haven’t heard anyone not succeeding from this medication.

Hang in there, you’re not alone xx

• Posted

Hi Sam

i was on Citalopram and other antidepressants for 13 years andd stopped in January because I didn't think they really helped me and I hated the weight gain.  On the tablets, i would still get very depressed.

I know, if I had the kind of life I want and need, I would be in a better place.  I've struggled all my life to find lasting happiness.

I don't even have my mother now but do have others around me but no-one who REALLY cares enough.

I'm starting CBT - please ask your doctor about that as mine only recommended it after I told her I was stopping the pills.

I DO feel the same as you.  I'm an out-going person but just want to hibernate.

• Posted

Has anyone had any problems with decrease in urination, Ive been on this medication for four days and I feel like I've decreased the amount when I urinate. I've been downing water like crazy to keep it up. Seem to help a bit, I'm very concerned about my bladder. Anyone have the same problem?

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up