Skip to content
in this discussion +1 following Follow this discussion

I was born without a properly formed hip joint and had a...

I was born without a properly formed hip joint and had at least five operations before I was five to correct it. When I was 10 I had a nasty road accident and suffered a bad compound fracture of my ankle and I had at least three operations and thankfully this saved my ankle although I was prone to spraining it at the slightest twist for a few years. I did everything that I was supposed not to do played sport and was very active until I had my two children. Early Osteoathiritus led to a full hip replacement when I was 35.It was diagnosed when I was suffering badly with my back which had been damaged and consequently I had spondylosis of the spine.

About four years ago I suffered a bite on my leg from a mosquito which turned into an ulcer, that took some time to heal only for me to then be bitten on the leg by a dog! (The same leg)I went on holiday to Thailand and suffered symptoms like cellulitus badly swollen legs puffy red and shiny. I ignored this and it did calm down. However, last year I went to Mexico and was in total agony - my legs were red swollen, puffy, blistery and I could not bend my ankles. The day after I arrived back I went to the doctors and was sent straight away to hospital where they treated me for suspected DVT, a drip for three days and a high dose of antibiotics. On the third day after a scan it was confirmed as cellulitus. After that I was free of it but now it is creeping back again in one leg. Interesting to read comments as I believe that it is connected to wounds or weaknesses/operations on the legs and also overweight. I am overweight by at least 2 stone. Rather long history but it may help others and share common contributory factors and symptoms.

[i:8501a799b7]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:8501a799b7]

Report this

0 Replies

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

Already approved

You can't report this, it's already been approved by a moderator.

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.