I was Diagnosed last week with Diverticulitis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I was Diagnosed last week with Diverticulitis, After 18 months of being in pain.

The Doctor offered me surgery as soon as he told me I had Diverticulitis.

It's all confusing to me. so many different symptoms and different stories.

Can anyone tell me if I need to see my GP after being Diagnosed with Diverticulitis for antibiotics or anything else.

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Peter sorry to hear you have diverticulitis, how was it diagnosed did you have a colonoscopy? The doctor would give you antibiotics if you have inflammation and if you were bleeding. I would go and see the consultant again and ask the questions you want answered, write them down before you go so you don't forget. I hope your feeling better soon.
    • Posted

Hi Joy

Diagnosed with CT scan.

After 18 months of pain The consultant confirmed that I have Diverticulitis and my best treatment would be surgery.

The consultant offered me surgery as soon as he told me I had Diverticulitis.

He wants to see me again in 4 wks to discus op.

• Posted

Hi peter. It sounds as though your condition is serious, you could get a second opinion if your unsure what to do or take the consultants advice on the operation. My condition is not as bad as yours I only take a tablet to stop the bowel bleeding but I also have ulcerative colitis.i,m very careful with my diet and drink plenty of fluids. Have you spoken to your GP about this? 
    • Posted

Hi Joy

The consultant is the top Dog for my area.  

Every one I spoke to says it must be serious.

First he said he wanted to see me in 3 months now he wants to see me in 4 wks

Do I need to see my GP after being Diagnosed with Diverticulitis

I hate Hospitals. Not spoken to GP. only see GP when I need to.

• Posted

If he's the top man Peter then take his advice and also see your GP to discuss this as well, your top dog would have probably written to him about you. Diverticulitis doesn't just disappear on its own and your top dog knows best I would say. 
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice Joy

I suppose I should go and see my GP then.

It might seem a silly question,

I have a high Pain tolerance

But how do you decide when & if you should go to hospital.?

And do you go to A & E ?

I don't want to be a nuisance with the Hospital.

I don't want to do any damage to myself by being stubborn

On the pain level 1 to 10

My pain is about 3 to 4 all the time, but goes up to 8 or 9

Thanks again Joy

• Posted

Hi Joy

My appointment to see Dr this Wednesday was bumped up to this morning. had a good chat with Dr. He says I couldn't be in better hands with my consultant.

Got some more antibiotics, and got them on repeat prescription. for next time.

Hospital called me Sunday, asking me to go for a colonoscopy next Sunday afternoon.

And I see consultant in 4 weeks about having op.

So I think I have everything in hand now.

Thanks for the advice. x

• Posted

Good to hear your getting somewhere and you have some antibiotics to relieve the infection, hope it all goes well on Sunday for you. Let us know how your colonoscopy NGOs. 
    • Posted

Hi Joy just to let you know,

I saw Consultant last Friday and signed consent forms hopefully my resection op will be in about 8 weeks. I Diagnosed with Diverticulitis 19 February. Pritty quick.  

• Posted

Hi Peter, I was also diagnosed last week by an oncologist.  It seems once you have your diagnoses, they don't really do much and I'm frustrated as I feel very alone on how to move forward.  I spoke to a pharmacist today and she said, drink at least a 2 litre bottle of water a day, fluids seem to be a good thing for keeping the bowel moving.  
    • Posted

Hi Jane

I know what you mean, It's all confusing to me. I've had a few health problems in the past,

But this time I feel so helpless,

I don't have trouble keeping the bowel moving it's just the opposite.  And constant pain.

• Posted

Have to ask , why did you suffer for 18 months? D.D usually gives you ,

a totally unbearable pain,and has to be treated ASAP.  Drips and no

solid food at all for at least 5 days  .Then a lifetime of "flares" unless you

watch what you eat.  Drink lots and poo lots 

• Posted

Hi Jacqueline

It's complicated

I've had problems with my bowel for 18 months.

I went into hospital with suspected Appendix 18 months ago

They found I had a Hernia and needed a operation

Then I had to have a Hydroele repair

Now I need another Hydroele repair and have three lumps on my testicle.

I spent 10 hrs in A & E a couple of weeks ago, with very bad stomach pains.   And had a CT scan.

Now I'm told I have Diverticulitis

In pain everyday for last 18 months,

• Posted

My god Peter you must have the constitution of an ox ,and the patience

of Job It's time you started to make noises or you are going to be shoved to the back of the queue for ever.  Where on earth  do you live, 10 hrs in

A&E must be a record 

• Posted

Hi Jacqueline

I live in Doncaster.

10 hrs in A&E but I was seen within 10 mins and put in a room on a drip.

had X Ray & CT

The consultant confirmed that I have Diverticulitis

He offered me surgery as soon as he told me I had Diverticulitis.

He wants to see me again in 4 wks to discus op.

• Posted

See what happens when you only tell half a story!!!!! I thought you

were sitting with the Riff Raff for 10 hrs I can imagine that your brain

went into freezer mode when instant surgery was offered ?

Do you know what bits are going to be removed ??? 

• Posted

Riff Raff LOL

I was told it would be major surgery, And a  large part of my colon would be removed.

The thought I may have to have a bag not gone down to well.

Frirst he said he would see me in 3 mts

Now he wants to see me in 4 wks.

Do you go to DRI?

• Posted

Hate to sh ow my ignorance about Donny night life ?? Day life. NO life!!!

Wot Iz DRI ??? Probably football 

• Posted

The obvious  eluded me .I tend NOT to think about hospitals ,makes me come out in a rash  When unavoidable. I do the Sheffield  thingys. 

Can you pick a designer bag ?? Will only have to be worn until you mend

• Posted

I hate Hospitals too

Is the bag always temporary even if they remove all the colon.

I just don't want a bag.

• Posted

You will have to ask the man with the scissors about the bag,I suppose he has to join two ends together somewhere ,and it will probably be a precaution ,in case you dribble rubbish where it shouldn't go '

Have a chat with Google , he seems to have an answer for everything cool

• Posted

It might seem a silly question,

I have a high Pain tolerance

But how do you decide when & if you should go to hospital.?

And do you go to A & E ?

On the pain level 1 to 10

My pain is about 3 to 4 all the time, but goes up to 8 or 9

Last night I was in agony, My tummy felt like it' was about to explode.

• Posted

Have you heard of 999 ?? and telling them that you have D.D and 

can't move AT ALL because the pain is intense and intolerable. That should get the blue lights flashing  As far as the pain threshold scale, I figure

in the WUSS area. Second option for you is the out of hours docs,.

You obviously thrive on pain. rolleyes DO SOMETHING  !!!!! 

• Posted

999 Is for emergencies, Hope I would be in hospital before I had to call ambulance.

Just thought I would ask, I don't want to do any damage to myself by being stubborn.

Anyway thanks the info.

Going to jump in a hot bath now. x x

• Posted

You obviously are unaware that if a pouch bursts ,you will most certainly 

need an ambulance.

If you can  "jump" into the bath your Divi can't be that bad 

• Posted

I know if a pouch bursts I will need to be in hospital.

But I'm not the type of person to go to Doctors every 5 min because I have a pain in my stomach.

That's why I was asking how do you decide when & if you should go to hospital.?

To me a hot bath is better than a hot water bottle.

Maybe I manage pain better than most.

And maybe my Diverticulitis is not that bad as you say,

And that's why the consultant offered me surgery as soon as he looked at the CT Scans and told me I had Diverticulitis.

And instead of seeing me in 3 months he now wants to see me in 4 wks to discus op.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.