I was diagnosed with a ruptured bakers cyst one week ago ,although I had been in pain for 4 weeks pr

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with ruptured bakers cyst one week ago ...i had sufferred pain and swelling in knee 4 weeks previous. ..i have very hard patch on my calf just below knee and swelling all the way down to my toes..does anyone know if this is normal and how long it lasts ..im at my wits end .

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Tina I had a very large bakers cyst the back of my knee and was worried sick because I was due to have knee replacement went in hospital on the 2nd march for my surgery consultant assured me that it would be fine but I've suffered with the pain down the back of my leg it's awful but apparently this happens

• Posted

Hi eileen ,thank you for your reply ,i suppose my real worry is dvt even though none showed in ultrasound, my leg remains very swollen right down to my toes and my calf really hard and tight ..I do hope you feel better soon x
  • Posted

I've had a Baker's cyst for months now which keeps rupturing. I had an abdo surgery and was worried about DVT, the GP just dismissed it as Baker's as I have bad OA of knees but never been offered any tests or scans.

?I have knee replacement soon and no-one seems concerned at all by it. But it is very painful behind knee and hard to walk. i don't know what will happen in the longer term but it appears to be one of those things. Have you got any arthritis or other knee conditions?

• Posted

Hi Cynthia ,yes I have oa in knees hips and back ,it is so frustrating as swelling not going down ,and my calf so hard and sore to touch ..just wish i could get some relief ..or even know if this is normal with ruptured cyst ...i do hope you feel better soon ,and thank you for reply x
    • Posted

Yes, Tina, it does feel swollen solid and painful and i find i cannot straighten the knee. They can be drained I understand should they persist. Our doctors here tell us everything is something you "have to learn to live with" these days! I think they are so short of money, unless something is immediately life threatening.neutral

• Posted

Aww Cynthia,thank you for reply ,I feel as if I am going out of my mind ...keep worrying about DVT even though ultrasound was clear ..it's so hard to believe that it goes on for so long and other people thinking why is she still complaining weeks later

• Posted

It is a nasty condition and underestimated I'm sure.  With a dvt the leg can get very red and hot as well as swollen and it would hurt more when you draw your toes back towards your knee. Of course not in all cases, some will not have these symptoms. As the scan was clear for you, it does seem that you can assume there were no blood clots, but don't be afraid to get a second opinion if it really concerns you. With my other condition, I did pay for a private consultation second opinion and found it worth every penny for peace of mind, as i did not wish to wait in the system for a second NHS consult - it has taken so long for the first! I also got a private blood test and this found a couple of things that had not been picked up, not terribly serious but all the same , they explained a few things about my symptoms. It was just taking back some power in the situation that helped me.

?I'm currently having jitters about the upcoming knee surgery as i did not feel well today either - might be stress as a couple of family members are not well and I'm worried about them too. All that gets me through challenges is taking one day at a time. We will be OK hun, it is better to talk on here and release our feelings as bottling them up is not good and well meaning people in our lives can be a bit dismissive which does not help much. Take care x

• Posted

Oh Cynthia, how right you are I find my family who are brilliant don't understand as they think that the doctors are right and can not understand the pain I am going through ...I wish you well and please God you will be sorted. Thank you so much for listening and replying . It makes me feel like I am not alone thank you from the bottom of my heart and God be with you .x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.