I was diagnosed with diverticulitis...last week went to emergency thinking it was appendicitis...

Posted , 5 users are following.

The pain was horrible...I ended up getting antibiotics through IV and prescription for 7 days flagyl and cepro and sent home...I didn't even know wtf this was or why or how.......this came about. Had to educate myself real quick...going into my sixth day and most pain is gone but I still feel uncomfortable especially at nights when it's time for bed I get like muscle spasms and tingling and the new thing today I noticed was little hive here and there...one will pop up be ichy then go down and another somewhere else and same...I'm wondering if I'm getting bad reaction but I'm almost done...I just don't know what to do . How do you know when you need surgery? ....anybody?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You sound exactly like me 6 weeks ago, I went into ER for micro perfs completely out of nowhere.

I spent 2 weeks asking doctors when I should call 911 or go to the ER, and they said "When you feel you need too" which was all the time.

I got jolt pains all the way up into my lungs which really REALLY sucked, but I didn't develop a fever, so I just had to endure the pain for 2 awful weeks and thought I was going to die literally.

That being said, my personal Redline was any fever exceeding 100 degrees, that was my point of when I would go back into the ER or call 911 which thankfully hasn't happened.

I tried taking Percocet for the jolts of pain that I would get, but it would do nothing for the actual pain, except make it just a little easier to mentally endure.

After having back surgery about eight months ago, and hearing what the surgeon had to tell me when I was in the ER, I would not recommend surgery if at all possible because you never know what the unintended side effects may be.

Welcome to the wtf happened to my life club sad

• Posted

I had the unexplained pain ended up a and e with flagyl and now have tomhave colonoscopy to see whats wrong, is this diverticulitis or coukd it be something worse.  How did you get your diagnosis, was it scope?  I am worried sick.  The flagyl took most of pain away but how are your bowels, i am needing to take something to help them now. Did flafyl make you nauseous, i found that the worst.  Where do we go from here?

• Posted

I'm nauseous every single day so far...I hate it...right now I'm on Cipro and flagyl...my last dose is tomorrow after tomorrow being 7 days....I don't feel pain anymore or as infalmed and bloated either THANK GOD!I do feel uncomfortable ...my bowel trouble so far and has been constipation...so I still feel like if I need to go but can't and idk if it's still because of low fiber diet...I am starting to eat more solids...this was my day 2 I was able to eat a little bit of salad and some rice....I notice I get more nauseous after taking meds..... latley I feel jolt feelings kinda tingle senation at the same time hard to explain...like tics...almost like if I'm on something ...and I've never taken any hard drugs in my life. I just want this to be over....I will be making another follow up with Drs. On Monday. Btw my daignosis was through CT BUT I WAS IN AND OUT OF E.R DIDNT HAVE TO STAY IN THE HOSPITAL

• Posted

Diverticular Disease is a nasty disease and the side effects from the medication can be dreadful - nausea, metallic taste, runs, constipation, depression, fear, generally feeling lousy.  All on top of the Diverticulitis in the first place.  I'm afraid there's no quick fix for this - take a few pills and you're better in a few days.  The norm seems to be 4 - 6 weeks recovery, as it takes a couple of weeks for the side effects of the pills to work their way out of your system, which should take care of your hives.  And the pain can niggle away for months in a few cases.  But you WILL feel better.  If you read the posts going back 18 months you will see many people come to the forum with all the same questions, and then when they feel better, stop posting.

For the first few days you should be on a liquid only diet, then a low residue (not much fibre) diet for a couple of weeks or so, until you feel ready to move on.  So things like soups, meal replacement drinks, jello, teas, broth, then mashed potato, steamed fish, broiled chicken, veggie puree, yogurt, crustless white bread.  You have to give your insides a rest.  Then you can start to introduce a little bit of soluble fibre back into your diet, and slowly build up.  If you've been told to eat more fibre I wouldn't do what one person did - have a huge bowl of All Bran - it's too rough on your still inflamed and sore insides.  Google will give you lists of soluble and insoluble fibre.  You are aiming for a healthy diet with small, well cooked, well chewed meals with the soluble fibre.  The liquids only for 48 hours is also the procedure to follow if you think you are getting a flare up.

For the pain, Tylenol or Paracetemol and heat pads.  NOT codeine, aspirin or Ibuprofen - as they irritate the insides and can cause bleeding.

Most people are diagnosed after a flare up by a colonoscopy (it has to settle for about 6 weeks first) and there is a forum for that.  Please don't be put off by some of the scare stories - most people are OK (it's not the most pleasant experience in the world, but necessary for diagnosis at present).  It tends to be mainly the people who have problems who post, so a biased sample.  If the colonoscopy can't be done, there is a CT Scan, which is what I had to have.  One day soon I hope it will just be to swallow a micro camera.

I personally would avoid surgery - in the UK it is only done in emergencies for the rare complications like blockage, fistula, perforation, abscess, peritonitis, and you'd KNOW if you had that.  In the USA it is far more common, with surgeons pushing for elective surgery.  I heard recently of a case where the patient had just 2 minor attacks.  That's like cracking a peanut with a sledgehammer.  You need to be aware that surgery is not the be all and end all - there can be complications:  it can recur further up;  you can develop a hernia, needing more surgery;  you may end up with a stoma and colostomy bag which may or may not be for life; you can get infections in the surgery site.  If you are told you need surgery I would advise getting a 2nd opinion - there are of course some cases where the quality of life is so poor, surgery is the only option.

I have managed with diet, lifestyle and occasional medication for 18 years, with just 3 flares in the first 14 years.  I lead a totally normal life, just take care with my food.

• Posted

Good morning,

First of all if you have hives and itching go to the ER! It could be a reaction to the medication  and would be able to give you meds to head off a serious reaction.

Diverticulitis is so different for each one of us. And depending on what country you are from the treatments are different also! That being said, I live in the US. I was diagnosed in 2011 with diverticulosis found on a routine colonoscopy. I was told I didn’t have to change my diet, unlikely I’d ever an attack.  Fast forward to 6/2016  I had my first attack confirmed by CT in the ER.  Sent home with 14 d of Cipro  and Flagyl. So sick from the antibiotics! Could barely eat or drink. I was off antibiotics 5 days and was sent to ER again . Another CT scan showed diverticulitis. Sent home with another 10 d of antibiotics. Pain continued another 3 months after that .  Colonoscopy in12/ 2016  showed  no inflammation at that time.  Again I was in the ER Dec/2017, Jan/2018 , Feb/2018  Same story as the time before! It was suggested at that time to see a surgeon! I t was explained to me once you have one attack your risk goes up for another. My risk was 75%.  I was told if I had it done after I healed less chance of complications since then I wouldn’t have any active infection.

I was absolutely miserable in mind and body. So I decided on surgery. I didn’t  want to deal with complications if I didn’t have the surgery.

So I had the surgery 3 weeks ago robotically/ laparoscopically. I have 5 small holes with one 4 inch incision.  Only glue and strips for closure. No colostomy and I didn’t have an NG tube into the stomach ( my biggest fear) I did have a catheter in for 24 hrs and was not a problem. I was up walking that day in the hallways. My pain was minimal and I was able to come home on the third day! I took pain meds only at night to help me sleep for 7 days. My only complaint is diarrhea and I don’t have it all the time. But again not unusual as I’m still healing. The Dr removed the sigmoid and partial descending colon as I had mod to severe diverticulosis in that area. 12 inches in all. Pathology showed diverticulitis and narrowing. He said the bowel was hardened so it was good that I had it done. I know it can reoccur but as it was it was controlling my life. I believe stress plays a huge role in this as both episodes started at  very stressful periods in my life   Again surgery is not for everyone but not to be feared with a great surgeon! I feel stronger everyday!!

Kate

• Posted

Hi Kate

Pleased to hear you are recovering OK now - you were clearly one of the people who had no quality of life and needed the surgery.  I don't think our UK surgeons take that into account unfortunately, only the emergencies.  I think you are right about stress being a contributing factor, as well as genetics and diet.  Best wishes

• Posted

Good morning,

First of all if you have hives and itching go to the ER! It could be a reaction to the medication  and would be able to give you meds to head off a serious reaction.

Diverticulitis is so different for each one of us. And depending on what country you are from the treatments are different also! That being said, I live in the US. I was diagnosed in 2011 with diverticulosis found on a routine colonoscopy. I was told I didn’t have to change my diet, unlikely I’d ever an attack.  Fast forward to 6/2016  I had my first attack confirmed by CT in the ER.  Sent home with 14 d of Cipro  and Flagyl. So sick from the antibiotics! Could barely eat or drink. I was off antibiotics 5 days and was sent to ER again . Another CT scan showed diverticulitis. Sent home with another 10 d of antibiotics. Pain continued another 3 months after that .  Colonoscopy in12/ 2016  showed  no inflammation at that time.  Again I was in the ER Dec/2017, Jan/2018 , Feb/2018  Same story as the time before! It was suggested at that time to see a surgeon! I t was explained to me once you have one attack your risk goes up for another. My risk was 75%.  I was told if I had it done after I healed less chance of complications since then I wouldn’t have any active infection.

I was absolutely miserable in mind and body. So I decided on surgery. I didn’t  want to deal with complications if I didn’t have the surgery.

So I had the surgery 3 weeks ago robotically/ laparoscopically. I have 5 small holes with one 4 inch incision.  Only glue and strips for closure. No colostomy and I didn’t have an NG tube into the stomach ( my biggest fear) I did have a catheter in for 24 hrs and was not a problem. I was up walking that day in the hallways. My pain was minimal and I was able to come home on the third day! I took pain meds only at night to help me sleep for 7 days. My only complaint is diarrhea and I don’t have it all the time. But again not unusual as I’m still healing. The Dr removed the sigmoid and partial descending colon as I had mod to severe diverticulosis in that area. 12 inches in all. Pathology showed diverticulitis and narrowing. He said the bowel was hardened so it was good that I had it done. I know it can reoccur but as it was it was controlling my life. I believe stress plays a huge role in this as both episodes started at  very stressful periods in my life   Again surgery is not for everyone but not to be feared with a great surgeon! I feel stronger everyday!!

Kate

• Posted

help I'm scared to death the pain was worse than having a baby

..from all I'm hearing this is a life sentence. I went to ER too and diagnosis.I'm still in pain. can anyone here's work? I f

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.