I was diagnosed with Graves 3 months ago, after problems with my eyes since May of this year.

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I am now on 30mg of Carbimozale plus bete blockers per day, but am struggling with my eyes and how they look.......not too bulging, but fatty deposits and bags under my eyes which make me look at least ten years older than I am, and at my age (62) I can't afford to look any older !! Does anyone out there suffer the same problems ?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I had eye problems at the age of 20 after being depressed and losing a lot of weight and had eyelid surgery at age 25 and 43 long before I had Graves disease.  For the kind of problems you are describing, eye surgery is the only answer.  However, different eye problems happen with Graves disease such as dry and irritated eyes and bulging.  Takiing Selenium helps for that and after my Graves diagnosis, I needed to have collagen implants inserted for the dry eyes.  If you have Graves, it is always a good idea to find an ocular surgeon experienced in the treatment of Graves eye disease and be followed by them.
    • Posted

Hi Linda,

Sorry to hear about all your problems, I totally sympathise it's a horrid illness !! What type of selenium are you taking and how much per day ?

• Posted

I am not currently taking Selenium because I take other supplements for conditions other than Graves and at times it just gets to be too many to take.  The eye surgeries I have had resolved the problems I was having with eyes and eyelids.  
    • Posted

If I were to take Selenium, I would not worry about the Brand and would probably take around 200 micro-grams daily.  I have read that you can eat 2 Brazil nuts daily and get the same quantity of selenium from them.
  • Posted

Hi Sarah...I have the same issues....I've been taking selenium for mine....seems to be working...for the outside..I hear coconut oil is good....I've not tried it.....

• Posted

coconut oil mixed with essential oil.....just not sure which one...
    • Posted

Hi Rose,

Thank you so much for getting in touch. What type of selenium are you taking and how much per day ?

• Posted

Hi Sarah....200 mg/ daily Selenium combined with Vitamin E.....I buy mine online prices will be anywhere from 5.00 to 30.00.... 

Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

I have the same issues with my eyes. I had a thyroidectomy six months ago and awaiting eye surgery. My eyes bulge and lots of puffiness upper and lower lids and upper lid retraction. After thyroidectomy some of the bulging improved slightly and upper lids look less retracted but still in need of surgery. Right now I'm waiting for clearance as to when to perform the surgery. My surgeon likes to wait 24 months after the onset of thyroid eye disease to perform the surgery.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up