I was prescribed citalopram a week ago for anxiety and depression things seem to be getting worse

Posted , 7 users are following.

Been on the citalopram for a week and my anxiety levels seem to be alot worse to the point were I am not wanting to leave the house and when I do I have panic attacks. I am going to persevere with the meds as from reading some of the comments here I'm not on my own with this.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

NO Melanie you are not alone. It seems to initially increase the anxiety. Do you have any other side  effects?? Are you working? I am just over 7 weeks in and so most of the side effects have left but the anxiety can be  the last to go!!!! But keep on in there and you will see results. 
    • Posted

Hi there I have been on them just over 7 weeks now and definitely better than I was. I have to make myself go out sometimes cos I just wanted to stay at home but pushed myself to go out at least every other day. Always makes me feel better to exercise, walk, bike, swim. I use meditation every morning to start the day
    • Posted

Hi thankyou for your reply. yes I work but currently having to take time off as anxiety levels have been bad for a while now. I also keep getting headache and feeling very sleepy at times I have also noticed I have lost any interest in eating.
    • Posted

Yes at first I lost my appetite completely I have lost 6 kgs about 14lbs, so I look great!! But feel crappy!! And I was so tired at first now it just comes in a wave. I wish I hadn’t given up my job as may have helped about now!!! But it was extremely stressful to the max!! But I definitely feel better overall so keep up the good work and keep posting. It so helps to know there are others on here going through similar and who want to help!! Blessings x. 
  • Posted

Hi melanie

Yes please persevere it is hard but it will get better if the panic attacks are really bad ask your doctor for propronol i was given this 10mg 3 times a day and has helped x I am gradually feeling like my old self it takes time but you will get there . Download a calming anxiety app i found one called end anxiety which was very good the more u listen to it the more your brain adapts

• Posted

Thakyou ill give the app ago and will speak with my doctor if the panic attacks continue.
    • Posted

Hello lovely these are side effects from the medication they will improve in time I suffered the same as you tierd and headaches were my main problem and they still are now and am week 10 . Try to go out at least every day for a walk eithen if it's around where you live been out the house does help well it did me I then went back to work on week 6 was hard at first but got better interacting with other people also I work in pharmacy so if I had any question on my symptoms I could ask my pharmacist for reassurance but also people on here give very good advice to keep going things will get better just takes time ..

• Posted

Keep going,it will get better.I have been taking it for 19 years.The anxious feeling will get easier.It Is a horrible problem,and the feeling in the tummy and head will ease.Try to be active,if you can,walking,anything.You are not alone.xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.