I was told years ago by my GP that have IBS but not sure about some of my symptoms

Posted , 6 users are following.

Normally my bowels would move every couple of days.   

On and off I get cramps and some mild abdominal pain. The pain isn’t unbearable, but it’s quite uncomfortable at times.  

I also have problems when on the toilet. Sometimes I would be sitting on the toilet and would break wind and this light brownish liquid would come out.  It’s not like diarrhoea, at least not like any diarrhoea I’ve ever had in the past.  Sometimes the fluid is completely clear.  The fluid only seems to come out when I break wind while sitting on the toilet - I purposely avoid breaking wind unless I’m sitting in the toilet for fear of having an accident.  

I could be sitting on the toilet and would break wind and a piece of faeces would unexpectedly come out, as if it was trapped and me breaking wind had released it in some way.  This is embarrassing and uncomfortable.  

I though it was taking too much fizzy drinks, so I cut them out and the pain and cramps persisted. I have tried swapping my diet around, eliminating things like dairy and the symptoms remain.  

these symptoms are much worse on the days I’m working!    I work three days a week usually by the second day of work my IBS starts to flare up.  If I’m not working I get some cramps, but never the mucous.  When I am working I would never be able to do a proper bowel movement.  It’s like working throws off my routine.  

I’m wondering if these symptoms are anxiety related, given that they are worse when I’m working ?  I suffer from anxiety, and have done for over 20 years, but my bowels have just got worse over the past 18 months. 

Does anyone else suffer from the symptom of breaking wind and then having mucous coming out?  That’s making me feel the worst,  I wish I could get it to stop.  

Any tips or home remedies on how to relax my bowels is appreciated.  

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I do get that if I have eaten something that hasn’t agreed with me. Have you tried avoiding high fodmap foods and following the fodmap diet? This helps by removing the gassy and hard to digest foods. I had some sausages the other day and I woke up with terrible gas and had to rush to the loo about 5 in the morning. It was mostly gas and mucus and then went back to bed and at 7 had a normal bowl movement. Quite odd but something obvsiouly didn’t agree with me.  
  • Posted

I read up on the fodmap diet only yesterday and went and bought the food.  It makes sense, because I’ve been eating only high fiber gassy foods in an effort to increase fiber but I think I’ve overdone it.  

I am not one to believe that anxiety causes our medical problems; I always look for physiological reasons.  I feel for you having to work with this problem....and yes, to answer your question, I do have some of your same symptoms.  

• Posted

Thanks for the replies guys. I hadn’t heard of FODMAP before, but it looks like it could be helpful.   

What do you guys do if you’re having a bout of cramps?  Do you take anything or just let them pass?

• Posted

Your symptoms do sound like IBS triggered by anxiety.  Try an Imodium and an antispasmodic like Buscopan before going to work to calm your bowel down.  Taking an antispasmodic before your stress and symptoms begin is more effective.  Have you tried the Low Fodmap diet?

My IBS is stress related and stays in remission when I am calm. Everyone experiences IBS differently.

• Posted

The fodmap diet seems to be a big key in IBS relief, I’m glad I asked here because I have never heard of this before.  

Pippa, I have Buscopan in the house and will pick up some Imodium over the weekend.  Many thanks!   

Thankfully my symptoms aren’t too bad today, just some clear mucous this morning but no cramps since then. Fingers crossed 🤞.  

• Posted

Do you know how long it takes the FODMAPs diet to make a difference?  I just bought some of the foods 2 days ago; am wondering how long it might take before I can tell whether it’s helping.  Thanks 
    • Posted

It depends on the type of IBS you have and how accurately you follow the diet.  If you have IBS D, where food moves through very quickly, you may see quicker results.  If you have IBS C, where food works through you slower, it may take a longer time before you see results.
    • Posted

Thanks. I have ibs c.  Not easy to be patient when you would prefer a miracle.

Longer as in weeks? Like most of the summer?

• Posted

The length of tme will also depend on the individual; everyone is different.  There are no exact answers with IBS.  It may be a good idea to ask your doctor to refer you to a dietician to guide you.
  • Posted

Hey gr, Anxiety definitely affect our gut and vice versa....Well along with diet you should focus on reducing your anxiety as it seems like the main cause, so if you remove the cause the symptoms will start to fed away by itself...Along with diet and medications try to do regular exercises...Yoga and meditation is best way to reduce anxiety and some anxieolytics for few months will help you to reduce your anxiety and also will help you in your gut symptoms...learn to deal with anxiety, It takes time to learn but once you can achieve that, Your symptoms will be controlled by itself, if that is only due to anxietybiggrin
    • Posted

Thanks Jello!  

Would you have any quick tips on how to deal with a bout of anxiety related IBS?

• Posted

It is easier said than done trying to reduce anxiety but I would try mindfulness/meditation before bed/yoga (YouTube clips in the house)

Stay away from caffeine, mints and alcohol but I agree with the others and I would try fodmap, it is strict but definitely worth it to see if it makes you feel better!

I have heard this gel is also effective with ibs.  Maybe worth having a look.

I will be trying tumeric capsules for my ibs, if it is effective I will let you know! 

Remember you are not alone and never feel ashamed smile

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Yes, let us know how you get on with the tumeric.

I cut out caffeine about 18 months ago - I just cannot handle coffee at all.  I used to drink a lot but these days it gives me diarrhoea

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.