I week on higher dose and still no better

Posted , 3 users are following.

Should I stop taking citalopram ? My mood is so low I can hardly think straight and the anxiety is with me almost constantly , I have lost about 12 pounds in weight ( I have no appetite )  !!!! It's been 20 days since I started and I thought things might have improved by now , the last 6 days have been at 20 mg and although I've had glimpses of hope ( minutes of positivity ) the main is of feeling hopelessly despairing !  I have been on this medicine before and it worked but it was a long time ago and although I remember having bad side effects I can't remember it taking this long to work . ???? 

0 likes, 11 replies

Report / Delete

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi I'm in same boat cit worked great for me n now I've been on 20mg higher dose for 6weeks almost n I'm so anxious depressed paranoid you name it, I can barely ear I have to force it down I'm weighing under 7stone now n I'm in constant dispare I've 2 young children n just feel a mess I feel like I'm dying x
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Ah dizzy doll that's rubbish ! I hope your getting some support ! Has your gp said to stay on them ?  I understand the forcing the food down I feel like gagging every time I have to eat something . I have been taking complan milk shakes as if you get at straw you can down it really quickly . I woke yesterday with a brief window of calm and managed to eat a slice of toast so I know it's the anxiety that's stopping my appetite ! Perhaps we need higher doses ???? I have no idea but I can completely understand how you are feeling xxxxxxxxx can you get out for a walk with the little ones ? I know it can help a little to keep doing xxxx
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

My doc says it's upto me if I want to increase dose bit I'm scared coz I get bad side effects n increased anxiety sad I'm frightened of going out to coz feel I'm going to collapse I'm also on complain type shakes sad
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I know what you mean about being worried about the anxiety getting any worse and any worse side effects although at times I think how can it get any worse !!!!!!! Have you got friends that can help you talk things through ? If your anything like me I can completely over think everything at the moment and every small thought about stuff that isn't even important can seem devastating , it's not till I talk about it does it make some sense !!!  Having to look after the children and relationships being a bit rocky I know can feel like the end of the world but it's not and I know things will pass . We can just feel so vulnerable and scared when we are like this eh ? It's hard work but your not on your own , if that helps xxxxxxx
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

20 days is early still, and seeing as you've only been on 20mg for the last 6 days I suspect your having side effects.  Every time you increase a dose you'll get side effects.  These take 2-4 weeks to ease off, and even then don't expect to be better.  You will get better on this, but unfortunately you have to be so patient and wait for the medication to reach it's capacity.

Whilst you're waiting remind yourself that you're healing, and each day that goes by, however difficult it is, is nearer to recovery.

You wouldn't expect a broken leg to be healed in 20 days ....... and sadly this illness has to be given it's recovery time too.

Persevere ...... you'll be happy with the final results.  People give up too easily.

Thinking of you both xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you katecogs I am so desperate to get a life back and so terrified that the medication won't work and I would be left as I am !!!!!!!! I want to go back to work , have a social life , eat , sleep and have a sense of well being and have normal feelings without devastating anxiety and that to me at the moment feels like an impossible dream !!! I appreciate your comments x
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I was ill for many, many years before I was put on. Citralopram - then my life changed.  I was exactly like you ...... so wanted to be back to normal, free from crippling anxiety and depression and could never see me ever getting there.

This medication slowly changed all that for me ....... I began to notice the anxiety easing, had the odd hour when I felt good which increased to half an odd day here and there then more days, and then I began to enjoy things and eventually I re legalised I hadn't thought about my illness!!

This all happened so slowly I hardly noticed it.  I didn't wake up feeling like this, but it slowly dawned on me how I was feeling.  After initially feeling ok-ish after about 2 months, the rest of the recovery happened over about 6 months, with each month getting better and better.  Don't worry, you shouldn't feel dreadful for 6 months but instead feel better as each week and month goes by.  People take different times to recover and also react differently to different SSRI's.  If eventually you find this medicine doesn't help you, then there are many others that would be more tailored for you .... but don't worry, I'm sure if you continue you'll find recovery as I did (and I'm the last person I ever thought would recover)! :-)

Whilst you're recovering too, you might find you'll have times when you feel good, and then you'll slip back I to feeling awful again.  Again this is how recovery seems to work, and the good times will get longer and longer.

I really hope you can bear this and keep pressing forward.  Just accept how you are now and remind yourself that recovery takes time.

K xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you katecogs 

ironically today has had some more moments in it that have left me feeling a bit more positive !! Just moments of calm and a feeling of well being !!!!! I'm scared to linger on these as it makes the normal horrible feelings feel a little more intense when they come back but I guess this could be the beginning of a recovery ???? And I can't say enough how valuable peoples positive support is at such a difficult time xxxxx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yay that's wonderful !!  Yes I'm sure that's the beginnings, and it's definitely hard when the negative feelings and thoughts come back.  I think they feel more intense following moments of feeling well and calm, but they're probably just as they were before ..... it's just you're remembering them again and your heart sinks.

Yes recovery seems to follow a particular pattern.  Fingers crossed you'll continue on this path to recovery!

xx

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up