IBS?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 55 and have had reflux for about ten years taking increasingingly larger doses of Omeprazole, now on 40mg at night. During this time I have also had intermittent attacks of stomach cramps sometimes maybe only once or twice a year again increasing as I have got older. Until this last year the attacks have been easy to handle with painkillers. The pain has however increased and the severity and length of attacks of pain has also increased. The pain can be just below the breast bone, around the whole abdomen, or sharp stitch like pains in one or two places around my tummy. I started an attack six weeks ago which has produced all three areas of pain and often all at the same time. I have had little or no releif since. I do not however have either diahrroea or constipation. I am in fact very regular and normal. I do belch a lot and I get a fair bit of trapped wind The gp says it is IBS. It seems to be that there is no one food that causes it but I avoid salad especially tomatoes (which I love!) raw veg, peppers and onions and spicy food. And it seems anything too tomatoey! I wake up in the morning and feel fine but as the day draws on and I eat the evening is pain all the way until I go to bed with a nightly dose of Paracetamol. I have had a whole load of blood testswhich have showed up nothing! Help!! Is this IBS? How do I manage it? Can this last as long as this in any one bout?

Really would like some advice from anyone out there in the same boat!!

maryrussell

1 like, 15 replies

Report / Delete

15 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Elisha , great hope you find it helps , let em know how you get on if you decide to try it
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi - I may be a bit late on this one as have only just found it.  I also suffered very severe and extremely painful stomach cramps and also loss of balance.  The culprit was Lansaprazole and Omeprazole or anything that ends with .......prazole.  With me it also started intermittently and then gradually building up to be more frequent.  It was so bad I had to report it to the Yellow Card Authority who monitors these things.  As soon as I stopped these drugs the symptoms disappeared.  Drugs can frequently throw up allergies so sometimes it is a process of elimination to find out what is causing symptoms.  For me it was a slow realisation that the drug was responsible for these dreadful symptoms which had me doubled-up in pain.  Now I am very wary of what I take.  Do hope this is helpful.  
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up