IBS and Haemorrhoids

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, just a question, does anyone have any facts or knowledge if haemorrhoids are more prevelent in people with IBS opposed to people not having IBS etc.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

100% yes is the answer to that! All the changing in bowels from going too much to not going, straining etc is a major cause of haemmarroids. One of the fun side effects of IBS I'm afraid!

• Posted

Yes most definitely. I never had any issues in this area until I was diagnosed with IBS and now I have the bottom of a 75 year old smile . Seriously IBS is not conducive for an attractive bottom.
  • Posted

Haemorrhoids are very common with IBS.  However, my IBS C is very mild and I take fruit to ease the constipation and try not to strain too much so I don't have any problem with haemorrhoids.

• Posted

I eat as much fruit as I can too but intermittenty I can get a bad attack and this can last 2 to 3 hours but the doc said even if you are not straining the sitting for long periods are also not good for you and I have definitely been guilty of this one.
    • Posted

I don't sit for a long time on the loo but I sit with my tablet googling for extended periods.

• Posted

I try not to now but before I was diagnosed I would be ill 2 or 3 times a week quite badly and it became that I was scared to leave the loo so would just sit there and occasionally move around but at the time I had no idea but that period of a few years did quite a lot of damage to my body. I still get ill but manage it better but far from cured and haemorrhoids are one very horrible side effect of this condition.
    • Posted

I must be one of the lucky ones to have avoided haemorrhoids.  Before I was diagnosed with IBS, I put my back out while straining to pass one tiny pellet like stool which was like reinforced concrete. My back is damaged after a fall on black ice and virtually anything sets it off or sometimes it strikes randomly. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.