Ibs and panic attacks

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, 

I was diagnosed with IBS a few years ago and it effects me everyday. I always have bloating and always have loose BM's. The main thing I'm concerned about is whether my IBS is causing panic attacks or vice Versa... I never thought I was having panic attacks and just assumed it was abnormal ibs attack. I get the stomach cramps, diarrhea and then I sweat, uncontrollably shake, feel short of breath and this all lasts about 3 hours (mainly at night)- I take a couple Imodium and a hot water bottle and wait for it to finish- this then leaves me feeling really weak. 

I just assumed this was normal but a friend whitnessed me having one recently and said she thinks I have panic attacks. Whenever I'm in a restaurant and the thought of ordering food it gives me an 'attack' which I now think is a panic attack... my graduation was awful because I spent the whole day on the toilet. My dads wedding I had diarrhea- it's as if my body thinks I should be nervous so it sends me into this viscious cycle. I'm getting married in a year and a half and the idea of having diarrhea or an 'attack' is freaking me out to the max. Can't get excited about my wedding because I just keep picturing myself feeling nauseous, panicking about food and having diarrhea and having no where to go (we're staying at another hotel so don't have a room to go to). I feel like this is completely ruining my life- I feel like if I get on top of the anxiety and whatever is bringing on the panic attack then I can get on top of my ibs. Is this something my doctor can help me with? 

Any help would be really appreciated Thankyou 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Your IBS is likely to be causing panic attacks due to worrying about food.and toilet availability.  Try a food diary or the Fodmap diet to idenify food triggers.  Imodium or codeine will help to control diarrhoea if you take it before eating or going out.
  • Posted

Hi, I suffer with MCC (Microscopic Collagenous Colitis) b utu some of what you describe rings bells with me. Prior to my diagnosis, I would suffer chronic diarheoa resulting in shaking, sweats etc. Since my diagnosis, I have found that on occasion I feel anxious but I don't have the panic you talk about - I think it's down to my changes in diet. My friends and family are amazed at how I turned by symptoms on their head with such a simple formula. MCC as is IBS, caused by excess bile acid. Most colon related issues are. Check out Microscopic & Lymphocytic Colitis UK on FB for more information and read my story. It may be of help.

• Posted

I can very much relate to your problems. I,ve always been a nervous person and this I now know is the root cause of my IBS. And yes I too suffered horrendous panic attacks mainly at night - even waking me up.  I have been treated for anxiety by my doc and although it has taken some time I am very much better. It has involved a lot of changes - not least accepting that anxiety is the cause of all my problems. Have changed to a healthy diet, cut out caffeine and alcohol, practiced mindfulness etc.  So stop researching causes and remedies for IBS and  go and see your doc and tell him about your anxiety and panic attacks and ask for help whether that is with anti-anxiety medication or talking therapies, CBT, mindfullness etc. Good luck - you will beat this !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.