IBS at 18

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there everyone,

i was diagnosed with IBS a year ago, i got it after catching the rotavirus twice in the space of a few weeks. Since then i have been put on Mebeverine but it doesn't seem to help, it slows me down but the pain is still there. I'm at university, in my first year and i find myself crying all the time because i just want to be normal again.

I don't really know anyone with the same symptoms as me, i have a friend with IBS but she doesn't tend to have problems that often, maybe once a month, and she only gets constipation. I get both and i'm in pain every day, if i have loose stools i take mebeverine and within 2 days i'm constipated, so i take fybrogel and then.. well vicious circle. I'm sure there are many people reading this who identify, it would be really great if i could have a chat with someone about it. I know i have my family but they find it hard to understand when they have no problems at all.

Happy New Year everyone!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey, i know exactly how you feel, i wish that i could just go back to normal an not have to worry about it, i'm 17 going on 18 in a few months but i'm still at college for another year yet cause i'm doing 3 an i'm not looking forward to going uni if i'm still like this. i've had ibs for about a year, i've had every test for everything to rule out everything... i found that Mebeverine did nothing for me, the only thing i've ever found to really work was to cut out any food with lactose in an also taking calcium supplements, i read somewhere that calcium can slow down your digestive system so i thought i'd give it an try an it seemed to work for me so i'd recomend trying it. i hope this helps x
  • Posted

Hi, I am also 18 and in my first yr at uni. I was diagnosed with IBS about 6 / 7 months ago and it is awful. I am currently on mebeverine and have been since diagnosis, it has helped a little bit but i still suffer with it everyday and it always causes me problems. I find that when i come on my period, i cannot get out of bed and miss all my lectures because of the pain of the IBS gets so much worse. I am now looking into changing my diet and have found that if u google it u can find a few good websites but they all contradict themselves, they will say to cut out one thing but then say it could help, it sort of feels like no1 knows what they are tlking about. I have thought about giving up dairy products so thats my next step i guess. Please let me know if anyone has tried something new or different. Thank you.x
  • Posted

im 23 and suffer with ibs i take lopermide and i find it helps a little i believe that if you think positive and have a good attitude along with alot of exercise and no alcohol and no dairy it will do wonders xxxx
  • Posted

Hi

I can relate to what most of you on this thread have said, although I am somewhat older at, ahem, 35 :oops: ... but I found everyone seemed to speak of mebeverine as something that would help lots but in my experience I am unconvinced it is doing a great deal for me. I have been on it for 3 months. My doctor has just told me to perservere with it 'for a few months'. He clearly does not suffer with IBS himself ... :evil:

My symptoms are mostly pain in the lower right abdomen, and in my worst bout the pain in the tops of my legs was pretty much as bad as the pain in my stomach. I found dairy was a problem for me (gave me wind :oops: , which made the pain even worse); I can still eat it but in very small quantities. But the food thing is so much trial and error because a food for one person might be fine but may be a huge problem for someone else.

I agree with the last post about thinking positive and having a good attitude, even though I know that when you are in the middle of a bad bout I know that is just about the last thing you want to hear. I have had moments where I have just not been able to contemplate living my life, for the rest of my life, with this horrendous pain that just decides to come along when it feels like it. I certainly wouldn't have appreciated anyone telling me at that point to 'be positive'!!!

However, these last few weeks have been better :D , and I have been more positive and trying to take it in my stride, and trying to carry on as normal through the pain where I can ie, working, sleeping etc. It has helped that the pain has not been as bad so being able to carry on life as if it is not there has been easier. In a bad bout I know that is not possible because all you can think about is the pain sad .

I think my IBS was triggered (3 months ago) by stress, and the stressful situations I attributed to my IBS kicking off have now been resolved. I do think this has helped my symptoms - fingers crossed - alleviate a little in recent weeks. Having them resolved has allowed me to be more positive and I do think that in turn is helping my IBS.

Well this seems to have become a bit of a ramble I'm afraid ... hope this might be useful to someone.

TK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.