IBS-constipation based!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been diagnosed by IBS, 3 years ago after a colonoscopy test, since then I could not find a medicine which can help me and can not figure out what to eat as every thing is annoying! Wheat bread, rye bread, dairy, salad! some fruits! what ever I eat, I have pain and bloating...

I have used Mebeverine for 1 year, not too much helpful!

Recently my doctor has prescribed me Movicol (powder for constipation relief) and Mesalazine 400mg gastro-resistant tablets 3/day. Movicol seems to be good and helpful but, mesalazine I am taking it now for a month but I found out that this medicine is mostly for  ulcerative colitis, active ulcerative proctitis, maintainingremission from Crohn's ileo-colitis!!! I don't think that I have any of this disease since I have done colonoscopy...

Any idea? could this medicine harm my colon even more? I feel some wired pain (not similar to what I had) and warmth in my bowels! 

Please give me any information if you can...

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

A few years ago I used to get a lot of bloating and pain after eating and was diagnosed with IBS.

Knowing the way that certain foods we eat over the years can block the bowel I opted for a course of colonic irrigation. I can say it cured everything and more!!

Sending you by PM a link to a book, hope it helps you..

• Posted

I had success alleviating many IBS symptoms using probiotic capsules I purchase from a GNC store here in Canada. They have something like 5 billion active bacteria per capsule.

The down side was the first week having a lot of gas as my body got used to having so much beneficial bacteria, but once things settled my general digestive health improved. 

My IBS is mostly diarrhea based, so I can't say I know whether it will help you with constipation, but I suggest it will. I know for constipation it is important to drink lots of water. How much? Well, I go beyond the eight glasses a day, and where I also have my bladder affected by this disorder I do go to the loo regularly to vent liquid, but again the overall impact of the probiotic is worth having. 

• Posted

Just to throw a different angle on things... I was diagnosed with IBS (constipating) by my doctors and given the usual meds to help it. None of them worked, and I was suspicious of the diagnosis because the pain was constant, low level pain, never waning and I could not find any foods, probiotics or anything that helped. I told the GP all along I thought it was gynae related but they wouldn't have it. To cut a long story short, ultrasound, X-ray, bloods and a colonoscopy found nothing, but a CT scan (this one I paid for privately) found an ovarian cyst in my right side. I have personally been left feeling very sceptical about IBS.
    • Posted

Sorry if I alarmed you? Whether you should have further tests really depends on whether you truly feel you have been correctly diagnosed with IBS or not. In my case I was not due to meds having no effect. Also my brother in law does have IBS quite bad and meds work for him so I had suspicions. I missed a period too when all this started which had never happened before. Please do not worry, even if you did have a cyst, cysts are rarely serious, quite common in fact. They can be hard to detect by external ultrasound because the ovaries can be hidden from view. The best way to check them is by trans vaginal ultrasound. I hope you find a solution I know how frustrating this can be
    • Posted

No, this is not a problem! I just want to know what is wrong with me!! but the thing is that I have this problem for 7 years ... then the diameter of stool is low! then bloating and pain start as soon as I eat something! could all of this come from cyst?
    • Posted

I can only go by my own experience but yes I have had this problem after eating, and I know on the ovarian cyst group on this website many report constipation and other digestive upset. For me though the constipation and discomfort after eating have subsided of late since I was put on thyroxine as a trial as I was borderline low with that too. I still get some bloating and nausea though

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.