IBS-D and obesity

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there! My husband was diagnosed with IBS-D several years ago. We have been working to find triggers and eliminate them from his diet, but he still has major flare-ups on occasion. The problem is, he is overweight, and it is wreaking havoc on other areas of his health (he also has severe depression, sleep apnea, and insulin resistance). I cook most of our meals from scratch (I have celiac disease), so I am confident I can cook for just about any kind of diet. However, I have no idea what to feed him to help with his weight loss since he cannot tolerate foods such as oatmeal, salad, many veggies, and whole grains at all. Does anyone have suggestions for how to structure a healthy weight-loss diet that will avoid major IBS-D triggers? Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Have you heard of the Low Fodmap Diet devised by Monash University in Australia?  Some people find they lose weight on it as well as it helping their IBS.  You may have to tweek it a bit to fit your husband's requirements because the list of safe and avoid foods are very general and some find that what is listed as a safe food can be a trigger food for them, and others find that the stated avoid foods cause them no problem at all.

• Posted

Ditto the fodmap diet but I would also consider that he may actually be able to do these foods in time, but needs small introductions so his gut flora can adjust. Also make sure he’s on a good probiotic and antidepressant if he’s not yet. 
    • Posted

Thanks! I looked at low FODMAP but wasn't sure how to make it work as many of the meal suggestions included Oatmeal and salad which kill his stomach. I will have to try a probiotic. He does have a good antidepressant, but diet and stress still have a big impact even when he's taking his medication. Are elimination diets and low FODMAP diets the same thing?

• Posted

They aren’t quite the same but super similar. There are tons of foods on the lists though so he could still avoid salad and oatmeal and eat healthy food. Squash for example is very gentle on stomachs. 

I used to think I couldn’t eat salad but now I’m fine with them. My IBS generally is more stress and anxiety related though. The foods associates come and go, no consistent pattern for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.