IBS increase

Posted , 2 users are following.

Ive always suffered from a mild form of IBS but where I’ve had a very active job I think the exercise has kept it to a manageable level.

I took early retirement about a year ago but I have kept myself reasonably fit.

Really the only thing that has changed is I used to wake up at 5:45am now about 8am

What is happening is I’m woken about 6am with terrible stomach cramps. I get up go to the toilet go back to sleep.

About 45 minutes later the same repeat until I get up.

It is very demoralising and tiring.

Any thoughts , suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

Try an antispasmodic like Buscopan or painkillers. If you are getting diarrhoea, try Imodium.  I found my IBS pain woke me from sleep when it first started.  Now I am back in remission.  IBS can change; don’t worry.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I cracked in the end and saw my GP . She has proscribed me Colofac/ Mebeverine so hopefully that should help. Sorry to keep on but appears to be worse if I am stressed about something. Is that logical ?
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

When your are stressed, your IBS will be worse.  This is telltale sign of IBS.  I am the same.  Stress and IBS are linked.   Watch out with Meveverine, though, it can upset the stomach.  I was unable to tolerate it.  I switched to Buscopan.  
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Everyone responds differently to medication.  Some experience side effects whereas others don’t.   Symptoms also vary from person ro person with IBS.  All medications have side effects.  This is why IBS is very difficult to treat.  It is very much trial and error.
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up