Skip to content
Ad
in this discussion +2 following
sue79 sue79

IBS - Intestaid has changed my life!

I have suffered with IBS for nearly 10 years. It is usually in the form of constipation and horrendous bloating, however occasionally I get agonising cramps to the point of almost passing out. I do have a high stress job which i know doesn't help, but I'm not going to give that up, so I had to look for other options. Over the years my GP has referred me for colonoscopies and biopsies of the bowel. I have tried mebeverin, buscopan, peppermint oil tablets, all sorts. None of it made a difference, until I found INTESTAID IB about a year ago. I buy it from Boots where it is often on their 3 for 2 offer, because it isn't cheap. It costs about £25 for a month's supply, but it is totally worth it. I'm sorry if this sounds like an advert - I promise it isn't. Initially you have to take it twice a day for the first month. I don't know how it works, but this seems to settle down the intestines/bowel. After the first month, my symptoms had almost disappeared and then I could reduce it to one tablet a day. I'm not going to say that I never have any problems at all, but I would say that my symptoms have reduced by about 90%. All I would say is try it for a few months. Quite honestly, I was at the stage where I would have tried anything, because I felt so ill for much of the time.

4 Replies

• woody2 woody2

Have just started on IntestAide IB and am hoping it will be an answer to my IBS. Have been suffering for more than 20 years with no treatment, but the constipation and massive bloating have, for the first time, started happening at night and since the beginning of July I have not had a full night of sleep and what with all the other ailments I have (including diabetes and atrial fibrillation), and being 76, life has been a bit grim. I got IntestAide from Boots, but the dosage is three per day for the first month and then 2. Expensive, but if it helps me like it has you, I won't be complaining.

• woody2 woody2

Thanks for crossed fingers, Sue79. Have been on Intestaid for a couple of months now and have noticed a

distinct but limited improvement in my symptoms. The abdominal cramps went after a month, which was

great and the days have become 75% pain free - compared to 40% before I went on the capsules, The constipation is under control with the help of Movicol from the doctor or Senna from the supermarket, but the severe bloating remains, mostly at night. Colpermin is largely useless and the effects of Mebeverine are hard to judge, in part because I seldom remember to take them 20 minutes before I eat !

All in all, I think the situation calls for continued use of the Intestaid, at least for a few more months.

• sue79 sue79

Well I'm glad it seems to be helping. I haven't tried Colpermin, but I found Mebeverine a waste of time. It is probably worth persevering with the Intestaid in the hope that the bloating goes. It usually gets rid of my bloating, although (apologies for being graphic!) it is probably because the Intestaid makes me go to the loo regularly, rather than being constipated. The joys of life, eh?! :-) Good luck.

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

Already approved

You can't report this, it's already been approved by a moderator.

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.