IBS Made Worse .

Posted , 5 users are following.

Since I had my gallbladder removed my IBS symptoms

are so much worse . Has this happened to anyone else ?

Does anyone know how to ease the painful bloating, cramps ,

Indigestion and wind pain . I'm also getting more heartburn .

I'm living on very little food and taking gaviscon and windeze

a lot through out the day .

Any advice please, doctor doesn't want to know.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have exactly the same problem. It feels as though i cannot breath and it feels as if my ribs hurt. And burning pain in middle of chest
  • Posted

I was told gallbladder issues go hand in hand with gastritis. So you may need to take lansoprazole or omeprazole for a month to heal the stomach. The constant acid coming up causes damage and these tablets help. Ranitidine is also good for reflux/heartburn. When you have gastritis it can feel like you have lots of wind too. Definitely worth asking your GP for a prescription for this. It takes a while for it to work but since I got these tablets 2.5 years ago it never came back for me.

Also have you tried buscopan cramps for the IBS? Do you definitely have that as sometimes doctors label you as having it when the underlying cause was actually the gallbladder?! You take 2 tablets up to 4 times a day and they definitely helped me with the stomach cramps/spasms. You can get a pack of 56 on prescription (a weeks worth), or buy a pack of 20 for about £4.50. 

I know you said you’re eating very little food so hopefully this should help to ease the pain so you can maybe manage more food. I still find eating little and often helps me. I can’t eat big meals anymore. Let us know if this helps 😘 xx

• Posted

Try Digestive enzymes Linda, most people that’s had their gall bladder out needs them. 
  • Posted

Hi Linda, I think if you cannot get help from your Dr...you need another one but, you can ask your pharmacist for help..they cannot SUGGEST necessarily but, if you go in & ASK for it they can help...When trying different things it may help to keep a log book of doses & results, TAKE MEDS ONE AT A TIME/ ABOUT A FEE DAYS APART, to know WHICH ONES work for WHAT, BE SURE TO ASK DR BEFORE STARTING ANY MEDS EVEN OVER THE COUNTER & BE SURE NONE OF THEM CAUSE ISSUES WHEN USED TOGETHER....Gaviscon is typically for GERD, heartburn type issues(not IBS but, could help some symptoms)...ask your pharmacist for something to slow MOTILITY(like Imodium) it may be called something else (too much though can cause constipation, so start small) its the action of your bowel to work to push out bowel contents...over activity causes diarrhea & cramping. Gas pain can be treated with Simethicone(it helps gas bubbles clump together to make it easier to pass(the motility drug also helps reduce gas by slowing things down) I know WATER sounds like it would make it worse but, you can become dehydrated w/diarrhea and water can dilute stomach acid and help w/gas...there is evidence enteric coated Peppermint Oil can help(too much can be toxic so consult your pharmacist or use LOWEST label directions. Digestive enzymes might help but not all patients w/gallbladder removed need it...In your case it cant hurt to check it out...Probiotics(in some yogurt but also in pill form) are GOOD bacteria and can help keep things become more stable by keeping bad bacteria in check. Eating small meals 5-6 a day keeps your belly from being empty, allowing gas and acid to build up....eating more often doesnt mean pooping more, but keeps acid in check and has many other benefits.(not eating can lead to overeating later...its better to keep digestion consistent)There are medicines that work specifically on bile but your Dr. would need to prescribe them...with IBS you need to be sure you get your vitamins & minerals(maybe a multivitamin) Stress is a huge issue(how can you NOT be stressed w/IBS...right??) relaxation can help eliminate stress reactions...(I was wondering if you have tried a heating pad on your belly for cramping & relaxing)I really wish I could help you more but, maybe you can try a few things and get some relief...Best Wishes💟

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.