ibs missdiagnosis

Posted , 4 users are following.

So ive had a stabbing pain constantly in my right side under my rib cage for over a year. Had unimaginable pain that lastest for over 5 hours and he sent me for scans for gallbladder...guess what negative. I also told him i had some vaginal bleedin...guess what dismissed. Told i have ibs. Had another attack of pain which was like a tight band around my rib cage...couldnt stand sit or get comfortable so i ended up rocking backwards and forwards on all fours every time a cramp came i was nearly in tears....meds...guess what didnt work. Another doc said if it lasts for more than 5 hours go to A and E...it lasted for 4..again ibs. Had a bad stabbing pain last thursday and woke to looking like i was 6 monts pregnant with some bleeding. Had some pain last night and woke this morning to more bleeding...not much just stopping and stopped by mid morning. So called docs to get another check up. This doc took me seriouslt and did an internal check...what she thought was a fibriod on my left side and felt lumps on my right ovary. Definately gyno she said so bloods to be done thurs and scan in a few weeks. Dont know what to think or what to do....if its cancer ive been living with it for over a year now...the thought of this is making me really really scared.

Please if anything changs for you get it checked out ASAP

1 like, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

• Posted

I think your on the wrong site.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

No im on the right site. I have posted in the ibs discussion board before....i am informing women not to be too eager to take the docs advice on ibs diagnosed when it could be something more serious
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Sounds like your'e in a lot of agnony hun and I know the upset and annoyance of having a constant 'digestive' issue and feeling like no one is taking you seriously.  For about four years, I've been having similar issues. Regular stomach cramps, bleeding etc and no matter whether I went to a doctor or a&e they put it down to ibs or the flu... eventually, I was admitted into hospital with a pelvic and ovarian cysts plus other issues that i cannot pronounce let alone spell wink I don't want to scare you but digestive issues as you probably know can be caused by a range of issues, from stress, to menstral issues etc so while you may be having problems with digestion, there maybe another root of the cause. I'm still undergoing frequent tests myself so I'm probably not much use to you really on helping with a treatment/cure. If your'e worried about the digestion try writing a food and drink diary and be honest with it. Its a little bit time consuming but it does help. Write what you've eating, the time you ate, whether you were stressed or relaxed at the time, what were your doing etc and how you felt just after eating and/or roughy an hour or so after. Hopefully if it is ibs related the diary will help you notice triggers, whether its a certain food or a thing you do while you're eating, ie eating on the go, large gaps in between meals etc.   I would worry more about the bleeding as this isn't so much related to ibs unless its colitis based and I hope seeing a gyno will help you.  I hope your not suffering too much longer and good luck with your appoinments. 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you but doc thinks defo gyno problem and can feel all sorts down there 😢 just worried as this has been going on for over a year and if it is anything serious then a year is a long time to go without treatment.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

wife experienced."identical" symptoms but dr did not want to diagnose without CT results..Nov 1 2010..wife is doing fine today.. claudio
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

sorry, should have also stated "appreciate" your warnings...."vital" IMO...

only surgery resolved wife's condition...timely...Dr was wise enough to immediately order the CT..and within 2 days...surgery.

Claudio

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up