IBS OR INFECTION??

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been dealing with these symptoms for the past 1 year and I was under the impression that its IBS but now I think it is not. My wife is having the same symptoms after one month of our marriage. She has moved to US from a different country. Never had any history of IBS or any of these symptoms. Blood work and H pylori test are normal for both of us. Doctor asked me to take Probiotics, I feel that's not the answer, this is some sort of virus or infection.

Symptoms:

*Bloating and gas after meals.

*Dryness of skin and dandruff

* Fast heart beat

*Getting cuts and bruises easily

*Sensitive skin, red patches on skin that goes away after sometime

*Body temperature is unusually warm at times although there is no fever.

*Feeling fatigued and dizzy at times.

*Dehydration and yellow urine even though we drink at least 12 glasses of water.

*Redness and acne on face(similar to Rosacea)

We both are facing same symptoms. Please help!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

HI, have either of you or are you both on statins?
    • Posted

Hi,

No we have never used Statins. Not on any medication either of us.

• Posted

OK, so you could have an infection - have you been overseas or on holiday at all?

• Posted

Nope haven't been abroad but I used to live to with 4 other roommates when these symptoms started and the sanitary conditions were pretty bad. One guy got sick and he was going through chemo. Our apartment was a mess for while, I think I might have caught some infection during that time. I also used this product called natural calm for a little bit during that time. I stopped after taking it few times.

• Posted

Has your GP tested you both for C-Diff? It's contagious and can be spread easily. Stool samples needed.

• Posted

No not for C-Diff, she tested us for H-pylori and for both of us result came negative.
  • Posted

If I were you I'd go back and ask for tests for C-Diff and all the gastro infections. If they come back negative ask to be referred for IBS/IBD checks. Sorry I can't be of more help.

• Posted

Hmm i had something very similar after I caught some kind of viral gut infection or food poisoning which gave me terrible ibs for about a year and now diagnosed with post infectious.  During this time i was quite run down and the same virus or another one gave me very odd symptoms and eventually I was diagnosed with post viral fatigue. There were so many odd

Symptoms that did improve over time but one dr thought I might be left with post infectious ibs and some kind of guy dybosis or sibo. After I cut our certain vegetables or fruits on the fodmap diet which bad bacteria feed on, I'm sure the acne, bloating, gas, hot feelings, fatigue and urine changes all improved. Have you looked at diet? Viruses can be pretty nasty as well and linger on in muscles my dr said! 

• Posted

Hi Rob,

How did you or your doctor catch this virus? my doctor is not even admitting that its a virus although it is pretty clear since my wife is having the same symptoms now. I haven't been on a strict diet, so you are saying there is no medication its only diet?

• Posted

They didn't identify the virus but the Dr said part of immunity is in gut so if my gut wasn't great then dormant viruses might reactivate and you can pick up others etc if you are run down.

I've read a lot of people can have odd symptoms with ibs and if I eat something bad, I get tension headaches, muscle tiredness in legs, fatigue and cramps in gut.

All I was told to do was to stick to the diet and avoid certain foods high in fodmap like baked beans, cabbage, sweetcorn, peas, apples etc and keep an eye on what I ate and find out what upset me.

I did improve on this diet and I can tell if I have eaten something bad as those symptoms come back and last a few days before it settles back down.

Also are you both on probiotics? I've read some probiotics can cause some reactions and you might get things like acne, upset tummy etc. I had bad acne and little red spots over my face on one so stopped as it was awful.

That's what happened to me but it could be different for you, and always worth getting more tests if worried. I would go back to the dr as it still sounds like you need more advice

• Posted

Hi  Rob,

Thanks a lot for this great information. My doctor has told me to schedule another appointment. She said she will prescribe a higher dose of Probiotics and she is also recommending some prescribed medication for IBS. Right now I am taking Align Probiotic and Metamucil everyday. It is not very affective, I think you are right, its all about the diet. My wife symptoms are not as severe as mine, she's facing these symptoms occasionally. She is not taking probiotics.

• Posted

That's good, hopefully you can get to the bottom of it. 

I have tried eating porridge past few days and I could tell that it didn't agree with me as my guts all cramping up and I feel like the odd symptoms come back.

Let me know how you get on as id be interested to see if there is anything else that might work for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.