IBS or should I go back to the doctor?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm looking for peoples' inputs on whether they've experienced the same symptoms as me  and I really only have IBS or if I should head back to the doctor.

Long story short I have IBS and recently moved to Korea so I had access to IBS medication (because Koreans have medicine for everything). I was told to take it for 2 weeks, but a day or two before I was done with my prescribed medication, I had to switch medicines for a gum infection. The gum infection medication came with a stomach medication as I showed them what I was already taking. But in the process of taking the medication for 2 weeks and until now, I feel like my IBS has gotten worse. My digestion seems to be okay, as I can still eat and have an appetite for everything, BUT I physically can't. When I eat too much (which isn't too much), I get EXTREMELY bloated in my lower stomach area. Like I feel like the food is stretching my stomach to its maximum potential and I can't breathe or move around. And it lasts pretty much all day. I'm basically bloated slightly from the moment I wake up and then it just gets worse throughout each meal. + this is a pretty low symptom, but I have upper stomach pain as well. I can't tell if this has to do with my IBS, but it usually hurts most when I'm really full and my bloating is really intense or when I feel like I have trapped gas.

So my top symptoms are extremely heavy CONSTANT bloating with having taken medication that didn't help at all. I feel like these 2 symptoms are pretty unusual for IBS as I've read bloating shouldn't be 24/7 as mine seems to be, and medication should have helped if it was really IBS.

Thank you in advance for any input or answers or advice!!

- Rachel

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I keep posting this to everyone, and I will to you as well.  I tried something called Triphala, it is an herbal capsule, and I send for it to Walmart, it is less than $7.00 a bottle, and I swear it has cured me.  I have not had an episode since I started taking it.  It simply helps your whole digestive system work better.  It is well worth a try.
  • Posted

Some people don't get relief from any medication.  Bloating is common with IBS and can be triggered by certain foods or the quantity of food eaten.  Try eating little but often and try The Low Fodmap diet and a food diary.  Not everyone experiences IBS in the same way.  I have IBS but no bloating.  Most people have come and go pain but I had daily, constant pain when my IBS started. Everyone reacts to medication differently. Try avoiding wheat which can cause bloating.  Some people with IBS are gluten sensitive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.