IBS ? some advice needed please...

Posted , 7 users are following.

I put this up also in another group but thought it may also be appropriate for this group too! Any advice, much appreciated. Thanks ...

Hi

a cry for help please. I'm desperate for some advice as its really impacting on my life..

I'm 49 year old male, I've over last year/ 18months been suffering from some problems with my stomach. in last couple of months they appear to have resurfaced and got steadily worst. I had similar symptoms last year but they seemed to go away.  Symptoms as follows-

Very Tight and bloated feeling in stomach, (often after food) with subsequent sharp pains that come and go.hot flushes - again irregular - come and go and not always daily. Sometimes straight after food.

I wake up feeling relaxed and the bloating / tight feeling develops during day.

Some weight loss - I've recently checked and noticed I have lost weight.

Floating stools, colour medium to dark brown. I've never been a regular checker of my stools but on reflection they appear to often float. Sometimes I've noticed what could be mucus on them. Sometimes they are smooth/ sometimes  sausage shaped, cracked and lumpy- sometimes a mixture of both. Have not spotted any blood.

Stomach that 'rumbles' and growls a lot, both day and night

Health history- I've been healthy apart from a kidney stone 20 years ago.

I've been to Doctors recently and described the symptoms, I had been getting some pain in kidneys too and thought it maybe related to  a stone developing again but this appears to have subsided and I'm still getting issues with my stomach. He has put me in for a CT scan to look at my kidneys / diverticulitis but I'm thinking he may be looking at wrong area...

I am a person that suffers from a level of anxiety and realise this maybe compounding the problem but in all honestly it really now having an impact on me and I'm getting very concerned about it. I often jump to the worst conclusion and it isn't helping I know.

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated, thankyou all.

Cormac

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

When you got kidney stone back then did you also have stomoch pain ? 
    • Posted

I haven't had CT scan to confirm whether I have stone/s but last one was 20 years ago and cant remember if I was getting same symptoms. to be honest. Thanks

• Posted

Hi Have you seen a gastroenterologist.. to check you out..I go thru either the constipation or diarrhea.. its all or nothing for me ..he put me on a Fogmap diet. u can check it out . google it .. I dont completely stick to it but I am watching what I eat and how it affects me .. I wish u luck .. I went thru this last fall after a colonoscopy . and this summer its been the same.. its so frustrating .. good luck 
  • Posted

I think it will be good to get it checked out for peace of mind if nothing else. I will say that what you have described is pretty close to me. The hot flashes I get generally in the evening, but can be anytime. My stomach doesn't HURT but there is a level of mild discomfort that has been present for around 5/6 months now. I haven't lost any weight as a matter of fact I have gained a bit. My stomach rumbles more during the day than night, especially when I am first getting up and around in the mornings.

My stools probably float more than sink and are medium to lighter brown, and seem to be pretty porous looking as though there has been a lot of air mixed in maybe. I will also add that when I pass gas it smells BAD!! 

All of that being said I was diagnosed with IBS years ago, as IBS-D, funny thing is when this all started 5/6 months ago was from a bout of constipation, now it actually seems like my stomach has improved. It still feels funny, and a little discomforting a majority of the time (I don't have any problem sleeping so I guess that's a plus) but I am actually able to eat more without worrying about things. 

I have my annual wellness screening next month, I will be 50 and I am sure they will want to do a colonoscopy which again like you for my peace of mind that would be a good thing.

Sorry if I seem to ramble, but all in all I would say it is probably a case of IBS

• Posted

Many thanks for your reply and no the more information the better. So ramble on!  sorry if I am being stupid but what is IBS-D? 

do you take any medication for it? I saw something for Senocalm - just wondered if you had used this?

thanks again for the advice.

• Posted

IBS-D is the Diarrhea  version as opposed to IBS-C Constipation or IBS-M which is a mixture of the two. I have not taken Senocalm. I have taken Hyoscyamine and also Dicyclomine both anti spasmodics. I have currently ordered some enteric coated peppermint oil capsules and going to give those a try. They have to be enteric coated to make it through the stomach into the intestines. 

• Posted

I have what you describe including kidney pain but I never had a stone I know of . 

Mine started when I took ppi blockers for acid reflux and my theory is now I don't have enough acid so food not being broken down . 

it's just a theory but I def had : have acid reflux but still not sure why 

• Posted

Your acid levels should have started to go back to normal if you have been off your PPI for a while
    • Posted

Do ŷou know how long that takes ? 

Its been 10 days or so and tbh I can taste acid in my mouth these last two days but my stomoch is stil not as it was prior to taking ppi 

• Posted

Everyone is different with their reaction to PPIs so the length of time it takes for acid levels to back to normal may vary.  You may be suffering from acid rebound if you came off the PPIs quickly.
  • Posted

Hi

Have you endoscopy and colonoscopy done. Considrring your age, this is really needed. Nothing will come up serious and this is only anxiety hopefully.

• Posted

Hi Cormac5565

Have had ibs for about 60 years, very severe with multiple food and medicine intolerances. Stools always changing colors, shape and consistency.

I have read when stool floats it could mean absorbing problems. Mucus can go with ibs too.

Wishing you good luck with your test.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.